Lifting This Weekend. Last Minute ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifting This Weekend. Last Minute ???

Hello all,

I'm finally going through with it and purchasing a 2" BDS lift kit. I'm leavin' work early to pick it up from Bob Suplee; lucky me! We'll prep the Jeep a bit Friday night and start work Saturday morning.

Any who... I was able to get BDS's instructions off their site and I went over them with my Dad. His concerns after reading the instructions are:

- What lubricant should be used to lube up the spring buschings?

- Where's the best placement for jack stands? We'll be doing the rear first, and then the front. So 2 jack stands will be used at a time.

- Was going to ask about torque specs but found it in my Chilton Repair Manual. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Dad has a pretty good tool collection. I think we may purchase an impact wrench to tackle the rusty bolts, but they really don't look too bad. He might have mentioned a breaker bar as well, but I can't remember. We are going to purchase a heavier torque wrench though, as his old one is too wimpy. Any suggestions for tools that may be necessary to do the job?

I'll take pics with my dig camera incase anyone wants to see how it went. Hopefully, fine. *Crosses fingers. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Bob suggested purchasing Boomerang Shackles... something about hitting the frame with the military wraps. I'm strapped for cash and asked him if I could buy them after the lift. He said I could do that, but am sure this may not be the smartest thing to do. Any thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 06:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Lifting This Weekend. Last Minute ???

You will want 2 sets of jack stands. one for the frame and one for the axle.

Rubicon Express lift just had me grease whith plain ole' chassis grease...same stuff you would use on the rest of the Jeep.

Booms will help in the rear...not so much in the front...better clearance up front...you can change out shackles pretty easy...It is always easier to do it once...but this time wont be so bad.

Good socket set with 9/16" to 7/8" sockets, breaker bar, and impact wrench will do most everything you need...

Hit EVERY BOLT whith PB Blaster tonight then do it again before breakfast....then enjoy yourselft...shouldn't take more than a day. But if it does...don't worry about it...take it slow and get it right.

You can see some pics of my R/E install here .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Congratulations on the lift...You are now experencing why Jeep stands for
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Anyways to answer you questions:
1. Any type of grease should work (as it's been said)
2. Jack stands should be placed on the frame the best place will probably be close to to te inner most spring perch(as was also said you will want a second set for the axle)
3. Good job using the Chiltons that's what it's there for.

PB Blaster is a must soak, soak, and soak again this will make your life much easier.

Did you find out what your squeak was????
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 08:44 AM

You will probably have trouble knocking out the old rubber bushings in the spring hangers...
Just use a drill and bit to pepper holes in the old rubber then use a fat punch (big bolt or something similar) to knock out the steel center sleeve and a chizel if necessary to dink out the rest of the old rubber lining out of the cylinder of the hanger.

Loosly mount the leaf springs in main frame hangers and loosly mount the plates and U bolts ... enough to engauge the centering pins ... loosly mount the rear shackles to the frame then jack the axel and leaves up and swing the shackles into the rear spring bushings.
Snug the frame main bolts, shackles and U bolts, tighten the U bolts, tighten the bushings (not too tight!) then torque down the U bolts.
Re-torque the U bolts after a bit of use.
A floor jack under the axel makes lifting it up into place to mount the rear hangers a breeze.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:01 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would emphasise retorqueing the bolts 3-4 times after driving. I did mine once a week for about 3 or 4 weeks, and every time there was room for tightening. Have fun.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

One other suggestion. Use a lot of grease on your shackle bushings. Also, be sure that you don't over tighten the shackle bolts. Tight shackles will give you an awful(stiff) ride. I have my shackles loose enough that I can slip a playing card between the bushing and shackle. I have all of the bolts double nutted with all metal locking nuts. This allows the shackles to ride free, but eliminates the possibility of the bolts loosening up. Sounds like you are lucky to be so close to Suplee's shop.

Later,
Tom
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 AM

I did an 87 last month and with the PB blaster and other fluids the four main frame spring bolts were adheard to the rubber bushing. Out came the 4' grinder. So if you have one it will speed up the removal if you got a tough nut. Don't forget about the shocks, and brake lines.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Awesome info. I appreciate each and everyone of your replies. I'm going to print this page off and keep it beside the directions [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Babypoo, yeah, I was able to locate the problem. There's something rubbing in the rubber hose that runs off of the Clutch Master Cylinder. When pushing on the clutch I could feel something inside the hose rubbing, which is making the nasty squeaking. At this point, I don't know what to do about it. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks again everyone! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Old Hand

Hi Jay,

I'll be doing exactly the same this weekend (only a 4" lift so it is slightly more involved).

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
- What lubricant should be used to lube up the spring bushings?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen plenty of replies on this one but I haven't seen anybody mentioning the fact that your new springs most likely come with polyurethane bushings. If you use ordinary grease, chances are that they will be squeaking in no time. Normally you need to use a teflon based grease for this. When I changed all my bushings and body mounts a few years ago, the kit came with some teflon loaded grease. Unfortunately the amount that came with the bushings was very small so I looked around and found that Loctite sells it as well and is called "Superlube".

Anyway that is my view on the greasing side... I'll let others chime in on this one...

I am not even going to bother with the PB Blaster this time as I know that most of the nuts are seized up solid. My spring kit and I am sure yours does as well, comes with nice 'n shiny new u-bolts so why bother undoing the old ones?? I'll just put the angle grinder in the old u-bolts and cut the suckers off. Just be careful that everything is supported properly and that you relieve the tension of the old leaf springs by undoing the shackles first so the springs don't come flying around your earholes when you cut the u-bolts [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

As for the shackles: Not sure what he is on about with "hitting the frame". Boomerang shackles as far as I know are designed to prevent your shackles from going "over centre". I currently have longer heavy duty Con-Ferr shackles on my Jeep and will be keeping them although I will cut them down to stock length and redrill them.

You can always change the shackles at a later stage if you are not happy with the normal ones. It is not that hard and certainly doesn't take much time. Keep your money in your pocket and run the stock shackles for a while.

The only thing that could cause a problem are the military wraps i.e. that they physically won't fit as the spring eye is too close to the spring hanger. Measure how much room you will have left when both the spring eye and the spring hanger are inserted into the shackle. You might require slightly longer shackles but don't go overboard with the lenght as it will affect the caster of your front axle and give your Jeep a wandering feeling on the straight.

Hope this helps...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hooch,

"The only thing that could cause a problem are the military wraps i.e. that they physically won't fit as the spring eye is too close to the spring hanger. Measure how much room you will have left when both the spring eye and the spring hanger are inserted into the shackle. You might require slightly longer shackles but don't go overboard with the lenght as it will affect the caster of your front axle and give your Jeep a wandering feeling on the straight."

See, that's what I'm worried about, the springs not fitting.

Let me ask you this, cause I'm a bit confused. You said that I can run stock shackles for now and upgrade later, but then you said that they won't physically fit. Are you saying that the spring itself will fit, its the military wrap that won't? I'm a bit confused because I've never seen a military wrap before. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode