Lifting This Weekend. Last Minute ??? - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 07:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Re: Lifting This Weekend. Last Minute ???

For what it's worth:
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Page 32 & 34, of the this months OFF_ROAD_ADVENTURES shows using white Lithium grease on the the spring eye bushings and shock bushing. I've used silicone before when that's all that was handy at the time.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

I've found it easier to cutoff the U-bolts with a cutoff wheel in the mini grinder. Never seems to be enough room to fit the impact and deep socket on to the U-bolts. The hand rachet can take a while with rusted & bent bolts.
Jack stands ..... mores is better and taller is good too!

Longer brake lines ..... getting the old ones apart can be an adventure.
[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

I agreee with the "slow & easy ..... do it SAFE & right the First Time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:34 PM

military wrap.

stock leaf spring pack is made of 5 or so leafs, the top leaf is the longest and has the eylets that mount to the frame and the shckles. the rest of the leafs decrease in lengnth provideing a progressive spring rate.

with the military wrap the second spring is longer then the top spring, and it wraps up and around the eylet.

thus longer shackles are somtimes needed to <font color="green"> fit </font color> the extra wrap around the eyelet.

the military wrap is a real life saver if the top spring tears, the second leaf should hold the jeep up long enough to limp off the trail.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 01:06 AM
Official Historian

The CJ has the rear spring shackle mount below the frame. The YJ has the mount in the frame. That is why the boomerang shackles are used and why the military wrap springs might not have enough room under the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Wrangler88

hey well good news for you, i bought that same lift kit for my 95 4cly, and let me tell you its not a 2 inch kit, i got 3+ out of it, and after wheeling it for a year quiet a bit it never did settle down...had to use the transfercase drop on it, but its a good kit, i noticed that i had to unbolt the sping clamps to let the leafs fan out all the way when offroading, u might also down the road remove an actual leaf to get them to flex more, but it is a good kit good luck!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Old Hand

Sorry about the confusion... What I am trying to say is that if they fit i.e. if there is enough room, run them till you can afford to buy other ones. If the military wrap causes fitting problems, you will have no choice than to buy new ones. The military wrap's spring eye is larger in diameter due to more than one leaf being wrapped around the eye. The larger diameter might give clearance problems with the spring hanger, but you won't know till you either measure it or do a test fit....
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update!

Day 1 of the lift, Saturday...

It was a long day, 11 hours of work and only 1/3 (rear suspension lifted, today) of the way through the kit. My dad and I started on the rear early in the morning and finished by late evening. That was of course with many breaks, including lunch, and many minutes just layin' down on the floor of the garage.

I'm very happy to say that we have not run into any trouble removing the old hardware. There is rust on many of the bolts and nuts but nothin' our handy breaker bar couldn't handle. We have yet to remove the impact hammer from its packaging as we have not needed it.

We did run into some trouble, but nothing we couldn't get past. One odd problem we ran into was the spring center pin that came on the new springs was too long to fit into the hole on the bottom of the axle. We didn't realize it until we dropped the axle onto the springs. We ended up just taking out the center pin from the stock springs and putting it onto the new springs. After that, the axles fill perfectly ontop of the new springs.

Other problems include: getting the trackbar relocator to fit, removing the rear shackle's bolt that holds in the spring (the gas tank was in the way), and there's something else... but I forgot.

Well, I'm out for now. Tomorrow is yet another day of learning about my pride and joy, my Jeep!

Day two will include: Front suspension will be lifted and transfer case lowering kit will be installed.

Thanks for all the replies. They've been a great reference while working on the Jeep!

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:03 PM
Old Hand

Update on my lift:

Didn't get started until today (Sunday) as I had to do some pivate work yesterday.

Got the whole front done; New springs, new shocks, new steering damper, extended brake lines, dropped pitman arm, shortened and re-shaped the Con-Ferr lift shackles to 0.75 over stock.

It is back on its wheels now and everything still needs to be torqued up but unfortunately I broke the adaptor for my deep sockets so I'll have to pop down to the autoparts store tomorrow.

The Jip now looks like it is doing a freeze frame wheely [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get most of the rear done. Just hope the weather cools down a bit. Currently the tarmac I am working on is melting. The trolley jack sunk straight through the tarmac with the full weight of the Jip on it and my clothes are covered in tar stains (as is every exposed bit of my body; spend half an hour getting all the tar off my arms and legs with nail varnish remover).

Anyways, I'll keep you posted.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 06:23 PM
Old Hand

Update Monday,

Got most of the rear done. Just the shocks to go on and the shackles to cut down and we're finished.

While under the Jip, I noticed a gas smell. Had a good look and it looks like I've got quite a leak in the gas tank, The bottom of the skid plate is soaking wet with gas so I'll need to order another tank [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bummer, just as I had some other nice little projects in mind for my week off in August....

Jay, how did you get on with your lift??

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Old Hand

Update Tuesday,

Well the rear is all finished.... Apart from.... The last shock.... Tried to put the sucker on, but it wouldn't extend. It collapses fine but I have to pull at it with all my might and it will very slowly (think 10 mins) extend. Rung the supplier and he sent a new one out straight away. Should have the rear shock by tomorrow lunch time so I can finish it off and see how it rides....

Any updates on your lift Jay??
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m done, hooray!

Hooch,

Sorry to hear you ran into all that trouble. Is the gas tank fixed? And did you finish the whole lift?

I'm done with my lift. Was done, last Sunday but didn't get around to making a post. Just to make it short and sweet, the lift was pretty easy. It was a bit time consuming, and took longer than expected. Then again, this was my first real work done on the Jeep or any vehicle for that matter. The most I've done is change my oil. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It took two whole days in our garage, about 20 hours to be exact.

I'm very satisfied with the lift so far. It rides smoother and looks great! Measurements that I took before and after confirm that I have gained 3".

Even though the lift took all weekend I'm glad I took the time to do it myself, with my Dad's help (much needed). I learned A WHOLE LOT about my Jeep and am proud of the work that was put into. Doing it myself, gave me a whole new appreciation for the Jeep.

I'm going to include pics of the Jeep. The first two were taken right after the lift, with my 29" A/T's. The second group of pics, was taken today after I had my 31" M/T's mounted. I had my bro take a pic of me beside the Jeep so you can get a feel for how tall it is. Keep in mind, I'm about 5'7", maybe a little more.

Enjoy!

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode