Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Tell me I'm not crazy... (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171580-tell-me-im-not-crazy.html)

dfjeepster 07-18-2003 12:20 AM

Tell me I\'m not crazy...

I've done too much reading of old posts and write ups to think straight right now so I'm hoping someone will agree with me that this will work fine. To start with I've got a Commando with a 360 and a T15. Its fine on the street but I really need a granny low so I have found a T18/D20 combo from a J truck to swap in. Unfortunately this is 200 miles away so I cant just measure everything yet. I believe this is from a V8 so it will have the long input shaft and the 5 inch adapter/spacer but with my 104 inch wheelbase I should be okay as far as length. I know I will have to lengthen and shorten my driveshafts and move my tranny crossmember but thats no problem. I am hoping to use this as is with no adapters cause I'm too cheap. Am I missing something or should this work out okay, anything I should check or watch out for on the T18 when I go to get it?

GoldToyBox 07-18-2003 01:20 AM

Re: Tell me I\'m not crazy...

I understand what you mean about the brain swimming in circles after ready old posts.
[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Don't know if your going to get the long shaft (10"+/_) or the real long shaft (16" +/-). The problem is getting the TC shifter up into the cab. Might have to close up the old hole and make a new hole (that's what I did) or maybe you will get the long shifter.
As for what to look out for on a T-18: As with any used transmission, it might be a good idea to replace the seals, syncros, etc.. You can open the top (6 bolts & pry up) and look at the gears for wear, missing edges. etc. Look at the oil for metal. Same for the TC.
Take a good look at the input shaft splines (at very front), a V-8 can put a twist in it. I have some twist in mine but I used it anyway. It came from a CJ with hopped up V-8 and I'm running a 258 I-6 (so far so good).
I also had to relocate the e-brake cable bracket & the transmission mount. Nothing major.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

ozarkjeep 07-18-2003 01:24 AM

good find!

the adapter used by Jeep FSJs in the late 70s was about 1 inch long, so there is 1 inch between the trans and Tcase ( its hard to even SEE the adapter)

the shaft will be REALLY long, if you want to use it as is and you should be able to, be sure and get the spacer between teh bellhousing and tranny, and maybe that bellhousing also just top make it easier.

OR you can find a Ford T18 2wd or 4wd, and swap the input shaft and bearing retainer, and have the 6.5 inch input shaft if you want to shorten it up, Ford 2wd T18s are usually pretty cheap, ive even seen them for 23 cents per lb in the local scrap yard.

you might have to fab the tranny mount on the crossmember, and possibly re-bend the LONG gear shift lever, it might hit the dash in 1st.

good luck!

BigUgly 07-18-2003 02:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I believe this is from a V8 so it will have the long input shaft and the 5 inch adapter/spacer but with my 104 inch wheelbase I should be okay as far as length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a T18 from a J-4000 in my `62 CJ5 right now the input shaft was 16 and change inches long, I used the Advanced Adapter kit to shorten the input shaft. If you can call the people with the T18 and have them take the top cover off, have them count the teeth on the input shaft, (First teeth inside front of the case), If it has 17 teeth, then, you're in luck, This is the 6.32 to 1 first gear. AA and Novak have adapters for you. I bought the kit from Mile Hi Jeep Rebuilders and had them install it for about $400.00. When they broke into the case they found the bearings were swimming in water so a full rebuild was in order. The bearings and small parts, and labor was about $100.00 more. Parts man Mike was said to be cheaper but, I don't have the website for him. I know somebody out there has his website in favorites.

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]first gear 6.32

mbalbritton 07-18-2003 02:44 PM

Tell me I'm not crazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry man, no can do... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

but as for your questions...

Am I missing something or should this work out okay, anything I should check or watch out for on the T18 when I go to get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall swimming in al lthe same info a couple months ago.. but not to worry, it's well worth it when you get done with the swap. just took mine out for it's first run off road and I was a VERY HAPPY CAMPER!!

If i were in your shoes, I'd do the following (It's what I did)

I had a T-18 from a J-truck, I picked up a junked Ford T-18 and scavanged the Input shaft and a couple other parts to put in my T-18. Ford T-18 cost me $75. had a chewed First/Rev gear, and a cluster gear that was missing a tooth, but the Input was good.Swapped it over and let her roll.

Issues I ran into going from T-150 to T-18 in my CJ5 were minimal, In-Frame Header clearance was awfull tight, but do-able, Tranny mounts are different although the part numbers I found were the same (go figure). But CAverDave fixed that for me while I worked on Ujoints.... and I too had a tub clearance issue for the D20 shifter. But a Fiberglass tub is easy to work on, so I widened the hole and we made a new shifter cover for the tub.

But in short, I'd find a Ford T-18 and snag the Input shaft, or call a supplier and pick up an input shaft.. that can be costly though.

dfjeepster 07-18-2003 03:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was just lying down under my Commando and measuring a few things and it looks like I should be okay. My rear driveshaft is currently @37 inches long so I have plenty of room to shorten up there and the frame has plenty of room to move the crossmember, theres even two sets of factory holes for moving it back [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I have though about getting an Advance Adapters short shaft or a Ford one but am trying to do this as low buck as possible. It looks like my shifter will move back about 2 inches which is no big deal and I can do the driveshafts myself so this may be a good way to go for me. Hopefully I will be picking up the combo in the next week and will be able to tell more. I will be sure to get all the adapters and bellhousing as well just in case.