Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Wierd Timing/Carb/Ignition issue... Don't know... (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171517-wierd-timing-carb-ignition-issue-dont-know.html)

mbalbritton 07-17-2003 12:43 PM

Wierd Timing/Carb/Ignition issue... Don\'t know...

OK, this has happened twice recently. First time was immeadiately following last saturday night run at URE when we stripped the 360. and then just now on my back to the office after lunch.

Saturday night immeadiatley after making a fairy steep ascent up Dutch John trail I shut the engine off. When we packed up to go back to camp, I fired up the CJ, and all the way back if I left the engine to idle in nuetral or clutch in, she'd bog down as if loading up. I just figured that after te climb and shutting her off I had fouled a plug or something and didn't think much abou it. Fired it up in the morning and she ran fine.

Today, I drove home, ate lunch, fired her up to come back and at idle she wanted to die, just as if she was loading up. give it any bit of gas and you'd never know there was anything wrong. let off and she'd start bogging down. So I turned it, fired it back up and all was fine. just as it should be.... WIERD! this is a new one to me.. so I start thinking what might this be? Only happens at idle, when decelerating she backfires like mad, give it any bit of gas and she runs fine. Shut down, fire it back up , and all is well..... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

things I think are possibilities:

1. Timing
2. Carb.. maybe idle circuit, but wouldn't that lean it out?
3. Ignition acting up

My set-up:

304, MC 2150, Ford TFI, cap, rotor and Coil, 8.8mm spark wires....

lomodyj 07-17-2003 12:58 PM

Re: Wierd Timing/Carb/Ignition issue... Don\'t know

Your Hawaiian print seat covers are out of adjustment...get them straight and you should be fine...

84_CJ7 07-17-2003 01:00 PM

Re: Wierd Timing/Carb/Ignition issue... Don\'t know...

Have you checked for a stuck float? Your choke? Fuel filter? Since you give it gas and it goes away and it was after a steep climb it's almost as if something has moved - float, trash from the tank, etc. It is probably something simple. Been having some of that aggravation myself here lately. Good luck.

Scott

mbalbritton 07-17-2003 01:14 PM

since I don't have any hawaiian seat covers.. maybe that's the issue.... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

as for float stuck or needle stuck in the carb.. maybe, I haven't had a chance to look yet. I have had that happen on the holley i use to have... actually that would happen all the time with that POS. Ususally a dirty needle in the float bowl. but when that would happen it would run rough even if I did increase the rpms. and was most certainly still there if I shutt off and restarted the engine. that's what's wierd to me, it goes away when I do that.

that aspect tends to lead me to something with the timing.. if when I start it it's... out of whack , but nothing the vacuum advance can't remedy with an increase in rpms, and when I shut it off nad restart it falls back in to where it should be???? or am I pulling that out my.......

One thing I did just think of... the only thing I can think of that I've messed with since this started... On my MC2150 float bowl there is a vent tub that comes out the top. when I got the carb and intake, this vent was plugged with a rubber hose and a bolt in the end. I left that alone and had been running it like that since with no problems. This weekend a guy who I think is more knoweldgable on the MC carb, told be to take that bolt out and let the bowl breath.... could this be having an effect and creating my intermitant problem?

Caver Dave 07-17-2003 01:29 PM

Yes, pull the bolt! It's the vent for the bowl...how can you get fresh gas in if the air can't be dispelled? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Keep the vac. tube run up and zip-tied to the cleaner stud. It'll keep it from having gas slush up the vent & down the carb throat offroad...more stumbling (kinda like the Moss did Firday night [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )

mbalbritton 07-17-2003 01:33 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yes, pull the bolt! It's the vent for the bowl...how can you get fresh gas in if the air can't be dispelled?

[/ QUOTE ]

don't know... but I didn't have any problems friday night before i pulled it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Only had problems after pulling it... coincedence? dont' know ? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]