How do adjust those rear Cadillac calipers? Again? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

How do adjust those rear Cadillac calipers? Again?

Okay, so I am trying to pass inspection, but my e-brake won't hold. I have adjusted the cables. I tried drilling a new pivot point in the e-brake pedal, but gave up. I am now trying to adjust the calipers. It appears that I have worn the pads down enough that my pedal cannot apply enough pressure on the pads via the cable. However, the pads aren't worn enough to reach the next ratchet point within the caliper. Does this mean I am out of luck? Any suggestions? I thought about buying a new set of pads, or grinding these down some. What do you think?

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:24 AM

Re: How do adjust those rear Cadillac calipers? Again?

I'd just go to Napa and get a cheap set of pads, they have 3 grades I think Tru-stop is the cheapest. New pads is a trick some guys use to get the pedal up when they are still on cars. Grinding down pads isn't the greatest thing to do for your health.

On a second note I had a thought on the ebrake to get more travel. Is there a way you could make a lever and attach the cable from the pedal part way from the pivot, then attach the cable going to the calipers at the end to give it more throw?
(see attachment)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Doh, forgot the attachment [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1149132-pivot.jpg (2.9 KB, 29 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the tips. I didn't really think I wanted to grind the pads. As far as the pivot, that is what I was trying to drill a new hole for. I haven't been able to drill the hardened steel of the pedal assembly. I am headed out to find some "special" bits. I may also pick up some cheap pads.

Later,
Tom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:01 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Remember if you increase the cable travel for the same pedal travel, you decrease the leverage.

I used a 12" crescent on the levers on the calipers and ratcheted them until I got the pads adjusted up.

New pads might help or use some sandpaper to rough up the existing ones to remove any glaze and increase the friction just before you go to have it inspected.

Also grease the bolts that hold the calipers so they slide easily. You need to clamp the disc between the inner and outer pad. If the calipers don't slide on the guide pins, you're just pushing the inner pad against the disc. The outer is putting little or no pressure on the disc.

Are you sure you don't have any binding of the cables in the sheath. If the inner cable moves easily, oil it. If it doesn't replace it.

Once you've got everything moving free and adjusted up, adjust at the cable splitter until you're e-brake is as tight as you can get it. Press down on the e-brake pedal and your brake should hold. Now release the e-brake pedal and loosen the nut at the splitter a bit so the rear brakes don't drag or only drag a little.

Recheck to make sure the e-brake holds. If not, tighten the nut at the splitter.

Remember, you are adjusting to pass the inspection. Once you do, back the adjustment off at the splitter until there is no rear brake drag.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Taz,

I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks for all of the helpful tips. I ended up drilling the pedal assembly. I called around to a couple of local tool suppliers and found that I needed a carbide tipped bit to do the job. So I pulled out one of my cheap masonry bits and it cut like butter. All that after trying HSS, Cobalt, and Titanium bits. By the way, the tool supply wanted to sell me a special fluted bit that cost around $30. Once I have the pedal assembly reinstalled I will follow your instructions, and see how good I can get it.

Thanks,
Tom
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Let me know how it turns out, remember I've got the same problem except I don't have to pass inspection.

Doing what I told you, I can get mine to hold pretty good but a month or so later, it won't hold well again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well the pedal assembly is in and the cables are adjusted. I still have the Jeep on jackstands with the wheels off, and I can spin the hubs with very little go pedal. I can even spin them with my foot on the brake pedal. I am thinking that my pads are glazed. I am off to get a new set of pads and hopefully with the adjustments I will have a working e-brake. For as long as it lasts????

Later,
Tom
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Taz,

No Dice. I failed again. The requirement is that the e-brake must hold the pedal while in Drive. The inspector gives the throttle a slight blip and the Jeep must not move. Mine will hold in drive, but can't hold for the blip. I really have everything as tight as it will go. My pedal is really hard to depress because of all of the springs. What springs do you have on your setup? I have the large springs on the caliper levers, and the spring built into the CJ front cable. I don't know if removing a spring might let me push the pedal further down allowing the brake to hold better. Any suggestions? I am about ready to scrap my whole brake system and start over again, but not until I pass inspection with the current setup.

Thanks,
Tom
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Sorry, I thought we'd covered that before or I would have brought it up. Remove the springs from the ends of the cables leaving the ones that are on the Caddy calipers. Just spread the coils on one end and then you can pull the cable round and round through the spirals until it comes off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode