'Nuther elecrical problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

\'Nuther elecrical problem

Well they just won't go away....electrical problems that is. It was going great until I left it at home for a week and my dad drove it. Here's the symptoms.....

1. Right tail light is reversed of left. What I mean is when I turn on the turn signal the brighter fillament in one will blink and the less bright one will not. Then when I turn the headlights on its reversed. Make sense? The left blinker is very bright...the right not so bright. The left tail light is dim the right tail light is bright when headlights are on.

2. No headlights ever. I didn't realize this until today as I haven't driven it in almost a month. Also the brights indicator light comes on whenever the headlight switch is on. I cannot turn the indicator light off by depressing the switch.

3. Battery will drain overnight. Seemed to be the same problem I used to have when I didn't have a voltage regulator in the system. I replaced it (NAPA wanted $40....Autozone $10) but still had the same problem. So I'm assuming I have a short somewhere.

4. When battery drains it still shows 12 volts until I try and start it and then it drops to just below 10. If I try and jump start the vehicle it won't start.

So whats the concensus? Could my brights switch be the culprit for all of this? I just thought about that while typing this up so I'm gonna try and replace that part tonight. Otherwise my guess is people are gonna say I've got a bad ground. I already tested the grounds in the tail lights and I know they are good. I don't really know where else to look quite yet....but I'm gonna get back out there and play around some more.

The strange thing is the whole dead battery thing started when my dad took it to get an oil change. The shop pulled it in....changed the oil....and pulled it out. When my dad went to start it, it wouldn't start. They were able to push start it and he drove it home that way.

So ideas please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: \'Nuther elecrical problem

#1 & 2 are bad grounds.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well I replaced the dimmer switch....no change...so I'll be returning that part tommorow. I'm guessing its all related to a bad ground/grounds. The tail light issue is old....I had a burnt out bulb on the right side....it was all black inside. My dad replaced that and this is the issue I have now. I checked the ground at the frame and on the block and they are good and tight. Now I get the fun task of chasing down every other funking ground on this thing. I thought that when I rewired it that I'd be done with electrical......why can't I be done with the electrical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Dex
Old Hand

head lights are hot all the time looking for ground and switch does that right????
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:17 PM

If you replaced the tail light bulb in the one that seems wrong, pull that bulb out of its socket, rotate it 180 degrees and put it back in.

They aren't supposed to go in the wrong way, but they will if the socket is old.

Can't think of what to check with the headlights.

Clay
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well the headlights work again now....don't know what changed but I'll go with it. Maybe when I was testing everything I shorted the switch and its internal breaker flipped and has now flipped back.

I turned the tail light bulb around and it works again.

So I've got two problems fixed....but I've still got the draining battery issue. Am I right in thinking this is a short somewhere?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So I've got two problems fixed....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid you didn't fix anything.

I'd say you still have a ground problem between the base of the taillight bulb and the socket. Clean it up and put some of that bulb grease in there.

On the headlights, your diagnosis is wrong. Since the high beam indicator worked and it is in parallel with the headlight high beam filament (feeds from same source), the breaker was not tripped. Since the high beam indicator came on with the low beams selected, that means the electrons passed through the low beam filament, couldn't find a ground, passed through the high beam filament, no ground there, and then passed through the high beam indicator lamp to find a ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode