304 Carb Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:58 PM
304CJ7

304 Carb Help

My carb, the stock motorcraft 2bbl, on my 304 isnt working so good. I was going to get it rebuilt by a reputable carb shop but they said it is the motorcraft with a certain vaccum hose and a different float bowl or something like that. They said it wasnt worth rebuilding because the internal parts wear quickly. They said my best luck would be to go to a junkyard and find the other type carb without the vaccum line on the bottom or to buy a new one. So im in a blank at what to do. I want to keep it cheap and havent been able to find a used carb but a new one is 260.00. I decided if i have to buy a new one i might as well get a holley offroad carb but i think i would have to change the manifold to use that. Anyone got any ideas or tips? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 05:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 304 Carb Help

The rebuild kits are only like $13 and it's doable by any 12 year old from my neighborhood! Try it, you may like it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Try and do the build yourself. Its not hard at all. The 2100 is one of the easiest carbs to build. Rebuild kits are dirt cheap. Buying a rebuilt carb may get you in worse trouble. Most of the time they are someone elses worn out junk that they traded in. I doubt you can buy a new 2100. Just remember to mark where everything goes on a piece of cardboard and put the part next to it. If you help just draw the carb on the cardboard and put the part where is goes. Plus the rebuild kit will come with a diagrame. The only thing to really worry about on a 2100 is the ball in one of the holes. If you flip the lower half over it will fall out and you wont know where is goes back. But the diagram will show you where it goes.

Good luck. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would also recommend rebuilding the 2100. I have one on my 304 in my commando, and i havnt touched it, and it was sitting without running for 6 years. And when i got the jeep running, the carb didnt skip a beat (knock on wood)
From what i have heard it is a very simple carb, and it wouldnt be much of a loss in parts if you tried once to rebuild it yourself. It is worth the experience tearing into it. As for a vacuum source, there really is one vacuum for the distributer. There isnt a mess of vacuum lines or anything.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:32 PM

I have a confession, I suck at carbs. But having said that, I have rebuilt a 2100. They are great carbs, this person you talked to doesn't know a thing about carbs even though he is telling you he is a professional. They are excellent on a Jeep. Only reason I am replacing mine is because I want a four barrel. You can do it, follow the manual and go. Adjusting them is the hard part, ask that question of others from the board, they will be glad to help.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:24 PM

They told you the 2100 was junk? We just swapped TO a 2100 on the CJ7's 258 because it is far BETTER than the BBD it came with or the hunk of junk Holley that the PO fitted! I've also got one on my 304 in the '74, and there is one on the 360 that will be swapped into the '74 when we get around to it. Rebuild the 2100 yourself, it's not hard at all. The 2100 is a good carb, and easy to rebuild....far easier IMHO than the Q-jets I cut my teeth on, though they aren't too hard either!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Addict

Just want to reiterate what the others have said. Rebuilding a 2100 is pretty simple. It is actually one of the first repairs I did to my '77 304 when I got it and that was with little to no mechanics experience. Took me almost 8 hours but that just because I had never even looked into a carb before and also I'm just about the slowest mechanic ever. Also by doing this yourself you'll have a much greater understanding of how your fuel system works which'll aid in dealing w/any future problems. Get a FSM or at least a Chilton's/Haynes and have at it. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode