O/T Why not to order from Bullet Proof - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

O/T Why not to order from Bullet Proof

Just a word of warning to those out there that are thinking of ordering from Bullet Proof Manufacturing. I placed an order for a rear bumper, swing out carrier, and rack two and half months ago. I was told I would receive them in one month. At one month I called and they said I would recieve them shortly. One week later I recieved the bumper but without the rack or swing out tire carrier. I called them to find out what was going on and they told me that they were waiting on a few parts and should recieve them soon. At the end of the second month I called again because I was wondering where the rest of my order was. I was told my parts would be there within the week. That was two weeks ago. I called today to see if they had shipped them. They haven't. I was told it would be another two weeks cuz some orders were screwed up and they lost a few employees. I asked if they were gonna do anything for the customers like a partial discount or anything since I was told it would take a month and its ending up taking 3 months and they said probably not. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
It seems to me that either:
1. Bulletproof MFG is lying to me and have taken me for a ride
2. They have taken way to many orders and are lying about the wait time
Either way I am just frustrated and ranting. Anyone else have any luck with these guys?
Kurtiss [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T Why not to order from Bullet Proof

I don't know anything about them, but after reading your post I would never order anything from them. Thanks for sharing your horror story. Hope you get the rest of your order soon.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 03:34 PM
Cerrals

I had a similar experience with a company called Kenesaw Mountain Accessories. I ordered a bumper/tire/can carrier from them a few years ago for my 75 CJ-5, They said they had the specs and it would take a month. A month and a half goes by, I call, they saw they are behind, give it a few more weeks. Another month goes by, I call, they say it should be shipped that week. Another month goes by, I call, they say it is being powdercoated and should ship in a few days. Another month goes by, I call, they say they messed up and sent my bumper to someone else but would make another for me post haste. Another month goes by, then I actually receive it! However the celebration was short lived, it does not even come close to bolting up to the frame. Granted, 75's aren't your more common years, so I send it back with a template of my crossmember, two weeks later I get it back and it actually fits! Too bad when I try to latch the tire closed it is apparant the latch was welded crooked. So I had to get it grinded down and re-welded locally. All in all, it took 6 months!
The only advice I can give is to keep bugging them, it should speed them up, so they can get you off their back.
Or try to cancel your order, if they refuse, call your credit card company and contest the charge, either way it will get their attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

I intend on keep bugging them. Have been just a wee bit peeved. I just wish bulletproof would be honest up front or at least let me know if things are behind or whatever.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:05 PM

Too Bad... I kinda had my eye on their rear bumber and tire carrier myself. I hate it when this kind of stuff happens and the company won't take accountability for their problems. I have a similar story with Sears and a digital video camera but I won't go into that now. BulletProof has lost a potential customer. Guess I'll have to fab my own. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-JL
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

In my opinion they are WAY overpriced for what they are. You can go by yourself a decent welder and all the steel to build one, and still come out ahead of the game. Plus, you'll have the welder for other stuff.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 12:10 AM

Just practice your welds a lot before fabricating something that can fall off your vehicle ! I saw a guys carrier break and go bouncing down the trail . Luckily it didnt hit anyone . You could see where he hadnt got any penetration on the weld .
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:02 AM

I'm with Jamgood on this one. You ought to learn to weld. It's kind of a fun hobby if nothing else. As for me, when I wanted to get a new front bumper, I checked out all the manufacturer's and the one I liked the most was the FF1 from Bulletproof MFG. I couldn't make myself cough up that kind of cash for something that could be made so easily though. So I imitated (remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). I built mine for less than $50, and it's every bit as strong as they claim their's to be. Maybe not as pretty since the hoops are pieced from pipe and elbows, but I've learned to like it along with the cash I saved. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1149052-bumper1.jpg (84.0 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:12 AM
CHUCKDJEEPSTER

I ordered a light bar from 4wd hardware, waited about two months, It was on back order, got impatient, called quadratech they had in stock and I had it about a week and a half.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

I really did consider getting a welder, but since I am in school and live in an apartment I don't have any where to put the stuff, I decided to wait. I have a hard enough time storing all my other stuff (guns, tools, etc, etc). Looking back I now know I should of just got myself a decent welder and just pretended it was furniture when I wasn't busy using it. Hindsight 20/20.
On another note: My tire carrier did come in today [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but with out the rack. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]Over two months to get two out of three parts I ordered. Now if only my basket will come in i will be able to move my ice chests outside of my jeep.
The tire carrier is massive. I can't wait to mount it on my jeep. I don't think there is anyway I could break it. Gonna have to get a suspension lift so my rearend doesn't sag so much. Thinking old man emu would be great. Let the mods begin. run credit card run
Kurtiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode