Anybody mount battery inside jeep up front? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anybody mount battery inside jeep up front?

Just put yj tub on jeep, not planning on running front fenders, will probably build inner fenders at the most. I was wondering if anybody has pics of jeeps with a battery installed inside the jeep but not in the rear.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Anybody mount battery inside jeep up front?

1. I'm not a fan of batteries inside the tub...
2. IMHO... it's better to [*]Use Spiral Wrap Batteries, mounted upside-down or on the side [*]Use the specialized 4X4 batteries with smaller case dimensions, two fit where 1 1/2 normally would fit. (sorry I can't remember the manufactures names)
3. This prevents running high current, huge wires into the tub,
4. It prevents having a possible safety problem in case of an accident.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:04 AM

The thing I would worry about installing it in the passenger compartment up front is if you use a regular lead/acid battery and should happen to roll it on the side you'll have acid running out. That could be a bad thing if it gets on you or other things, even if it's in a marine style box they still will leak acid.

I'd keep it under the hood or in the very back if you don't have a rear seat.

Not trying to tell you what to do just pointing out a few things for you to consider incase you didn't think of them. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just looking for some ideas. I am trying to clean up the engine area since I don't plan on running fenders. I already have the "through firewall" adapters for the battery cables. The only thing that would be connected to that would be the starter. Everything else would be directly connected to the battery.

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will remind you all that the jeep is a trail jeep only. I would get optima's or whatever if that would make things safer.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:18 AM

I would go with maybe dual optima's.. they make the smaller red tops and I got mine for 75.00 plus shipping!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

What about mounting it under the tub? Perhaps just behind the Tcase or something like that? Build a spot for it on your skid plate to protect it and then its outta the way. I saw a photo of a guy who did something similar on his trail only vehicle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am currently building a 47 willys and am thinking about cutting out part of the rear fender well in the very back and building a watertight box for the battery. I have seen a couple of these and as long as its far enough back it wont effect tire clearance. Make sure its on the opposite side of the gas filler.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 AM
M38

How about the way the military did it, in the cowl in front of the passeneger?

please don't hook everything directly to the battery though I might have mis understood but fuses stop fires

Clint
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, My first thought was to build a tray behind the dash. However in my situation I now decided against it. Reason - We built a custom dash with a steering wheel that is going through the dash. However the dash is the support the the column. So If I put the batteries behind the dash I would have to remove the entire dash if I need to get to them.

I think I have now decided that I am going to mount two batteries behind my front seats in front of the fuel cell. That way if I need to get to them, I can just remove the passenger rci seat (attached to cage).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode