O/T - Anyone with experience with Adobe In-Design - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T - Anyone with experience with Adobe In-Design

Well I have to upgrade our computers and such at work at our little newspaper. Currently we use Quark, and now I am pondering In-Design. Just looking for any experiences from anyone who has used In-Design, and from anyone who has converted from Quark to In-Design.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - Anyone with experience with Adobe In-Design

I have In Design, and I have to say... It's PageMaker witha different Name on it... yes it has different Features that are nifty and neat... but If you can stick with Quark, you're better off. InDesign was hailed as the Quark Killer... I think Adobe got kicked in the teeth when they released it and it didn't hold a candle to Quark.

Unfortunately I haven't used Quark lately since my current job is more 3D modeling, but I do recall Having issues with InDesign and Pagemaker going to Print and none with Quark. What are you using the Programs for? As i remember using them, Quark was set up more for Printing and Page layout where InDesign offered a little more Internet Page layout option. That may be a dated statement if Quark has updated that aspect of ther program. But Over all Quark is still the best Page layout Program on the market.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - Anyone with experience with Adobe In-Des

We are a little weekly newspaper. From what i have been reading the printing issues have been fixed with the 2.0 version. I have been using Quark for 4 years now, am very used to it, but right now we are at the point where we have to goto OS10. I was waiting for Quark to release before we started to change OS. I wanted to avoid using the classic mode as much as possible. From what i have been reading about quark is that they are using hardware for serial identification, and i guess if you change hardware in a certain machine for mroe than 3 times a year, the serial number witll be void and cause an error and not work anymore. But I am still reading up on it. And the rumors are Macromedia might be purchasing Quark, which I could see because Macromedia is competing with Adobe. But i think that rumor has been floating around for a while.
I do like Quark, i have had good experiences with it. But as with others I use Adobe products. I really like adobe and would like to work seamless like i can see in-design worknig with photoshop and illustrator, and the fact that i can save a project in PDF format, unlike having to use distiller to create a PDF file from a Quark EPS file. It will reduce a step for us, which would really be good in the busy season.
I was hoping that In-design was not like Page Maker. I really do not know what Adobe was doing when they came out with both products that compete with each other. I am thinknig that Page Maker will be phased out eventually.

For my job being the graphics layout guy, i really like the chance to utilize a regualr photoshop file in the In-design document, rather than having it be just a Tiff, JPeg, or EPS etc.
I was worried about In-design and the way it would be able to Paginate, but it seems to flow fine, but then again i am reading only literature that Adobe has written, and one writeup from MacWorld, so who knows whose pocket is getting payed.

I am going to download the trial to see what it is like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you haven;t switched to OSX yet, I'd stick with 9.x for as long as you can! Then when you do switch, make sure you have plenty of time to get use to it, set it up and all that jazz. I was down for 2 weeks trying to get OSX loaded and set up for me to use it! I had a Hell of time because it apparently didn't like my system. I had to take my HD out and switch it over to another computer, load it, and bring it back over. no other computer in the office had this problem, but I am the only one running a dual Proccesor, so that' sthe only thing I can come up with that was causing the problem. After that, I found that OSX was VERY Stable, but VERY SLOOOOOOOWWWWW! I still have OS 9.0.4 and 9.2 loaded on my system. My 3D application won't run in classics, so I have to launch 9.0.4 to run it. It will run in 9.2, but 9.2 won't run on my box for some reason. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Launching Classics really isn't that big a deal if you still want to Quark. I'd prefer to do that over running InDesign Personally.

Again, if you hven't worked in OSX, you're in for some adjustment! It's WAY different! I still don't care for it and I've been running it for several months now. One good thing is the Safari Browser, it rocks! fast! bare bones and easy to use.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Addict

I'm running a 9.x machine and an OS X machine. I use the "9" to capture my scans and perform Quark functions and use the "10" for all of my Photoshop work. Photoshop 7 screams on the OS X machine. I have it maxxed out on ram and PS is finally able to utilize the dual processors.

I put off moving to OS X for as long as I thought I could but I have really enjoyed the move and am looking forward to bringing my other machine forward to OS X as soon as we feel that Quark is "really" ready. My OS X machine is pretty much geared towards the PS work so I don't have a lot of programs bogging it down and I never switch to Classic mode. That may be why I am not experiencing any problems.

Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The whole OSX thing is what is crazy right now. Currently we have to G4s, and an ICrap Imac that we use. Well the IMac is slowly dieing, the brilliant people who made them liked to rely on the heat sinks to cool them, and even with the area open for air flow, it is overheating and crashing. Yetserday i had to take the to off it and put a floor fan next to it, and you know what?? It stays cool. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But we are on os9.2 and have avoided going to 10. I have played a bit on it, i have the first junk version on my G4 because it was built with both OS's on it. But we waited till Quark before I decided we had to move forward, I hate getting behind on versions of programs, and most of them have had time to get the bugs fixed by now [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
So we are pondering getting a new G5. And it is only shipped with OS10. So I just thought it was a good time as any to do it now before we get busy in october.
So actually that i have sombody to talk to who is on OS10.

Is the computer slowed down that much when running in classic mode? I was envisioning it being something like Virtual PC for MAC where it is a turtle and cant get out of its own way. I wanted to avoid having to run classic, since we will go back between quark and photoshop and other programs so quickly. I didnt want to try and load OS9 on the new G5 and go a step backwards.
Also anoter questino related to OS10. I know it may sound stupid, but will the OS10 machine network just fine with an OS 9 machine? for some reason i was thinking it would be difficult or not possible, but I just havnt found anyone networking them.

So I have a big shiopping list to fill in the next month.

New G5, some monitors (CRTs are so cheap now)
photshop 7, Illustrator 10, Quark, Adobe Acrobat and 2 or three others that are compatable with OS10. Also get the OS10 for all the machines in my office.

It is going to be a bumpy road. I have OS10 at home ready to be instaleld on my Mac, but I still havnt done it since i am using the same programs and didnt want to go into classic mac mode. Am I overreacting to classic mac mode?? [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Addict

I am networking my 9/10 machines with no problem.

Unless I am mistaken, the new "10" machines won't have Classic as an option. It' OS X or nothing. So if you need 9 applications you may want to do what I have been doing and have a machine that you can network and put the 9 applications on it.

The biggest problems we have had here have been with OS X Server. We had to swap everything over from an NT server and it was not a fun time. Fortunately that was not my headache. Similar problems have been encountered with the various versions of OS X. If you would perform an upgrade it would blow a drive away if you had "this" application or "that" peripheral connected. I believe that these issues have been solved.

My advice, based on my experiences vs. others experiences here at work would be this -

Be sensible. Put the applications on the machine that you need and leave the beta testing and guinea pigging to others. Learn and try to use OS X for what it is and try not to make it OS 9. I have found little bugs or thing I don't particularly like here and there, but for the most part really like OS X and have had no problem with it. Not one crash. I really believe that it is because I didn't try to add to much to it and left the "playing" to others.

I'm in line for a G5. Looking forward to that opportunity. Since I work with the largest files( sometimes over 1GB) and require the most speed and RAM, I usually get the new machines and move my older machine on down the line. I hear the G5 is BAAAAAD!

Hope it works out for you and let me know if I can help you out.

Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:11 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I know it may sound stupid, but will the OS10 machine network just fine with an OS 9 machine? for some reason i was thinking it would be difficult or not possible, but I just havnt found anyone networking them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it in school (just got my A.A.S INT degree in June) for a project in a mixed enviroment with OSX, OS9, Linux &amp; Windoze and it worked fine. I don't remember any issues but I'll look through my notes and I could send you some handouts we got on OSX if your interested?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks!1
I will probably take you up on the handouts, since i have not worked in OSX anough, i do not know how to network everything.
I know that apple talk was dropped, and it is all ftp-IP based. I was under the impression that i would have needed a serperate "Server" server to run the network, but now as i think about it, i will need to make one machine the server in the network of 3 computers.

Still i am up in the air about upgrading everything. I know for sure i want to pursue everything being upgraded to be the same versions. Good thing is that there are only two other people to get trained besides me. And they are pretty quick learners and do not have any bad habits. I already have been prepping them about the change and they are eager.

Still have to decide between staying with Quark or going to In-design. for being print based for all our projects, i really like how In-design can flow between the different programs, and it can open Quark and Page maker files, so I wont be screwed for having my archives of old Quark files.

I will have to change over at home first and get used to it (OSX) and then i can probably not be as leary.

I may keep some computers on OS9 and then keep me at OSX. Keeping one machine to do everything from the programs in 9 is not an option. I am responsible for the adwork, and my other two production workers are responsible for the text. Then on deadline day, pretty much we paste together the pages of the paper and then PDF them and send them out to the printer.

It seems to be all or none, if we decide to goto In-design because then i would be able to open quark files, but they cant open my files. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Man Quark sure does have a monopoly of stuff, very difficult to try and get away.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wht i was refering to OSX to as slow is not the classics mode. That runs fine actually, OSX also boots from full shut down in about a minute. the slow part is logging on to servers, Bringing up your print window, Loading Illustrator 10 is like being back on my old 7500/100 [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

most of my issues come while using Illust. which is a big part of my day. that's not to say that it's the only problem. i think they loaded too much eye candy to make it look neat and nifty. all the goofy little sub programs that make things pop up, expand, and shadow... it just bogs certain thing down that seem so basic to everyday use. this is the experience of a co-worker and myself. that's not to say It's always slow on everybodies machine, but I have heard pretty much a 50/50 split on opinions of OSX. Like my boss, he runs a G4 Laptop and doesn't have any problems.. he loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode