Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   More Herculiner Questions (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171403-more-herculiner-questions.html)

CJJ92YJ 07-16-2003 08:34 AM

More Herculiner Questions

OK, so I got the gallon kit from Checker when they had it on sale with the rebate. I've done a search, and can't seem to find answers to all of my questions. I am having a hard time deciding between spraying and rolling the stuff on, can you guys help out?

1.) When rolling it on, did any of you guys ever have a problem with it trying to dry while it was in the tray?
2.) When rolling it on, besides the prep time, how long did it take to roll?
3.) When rolling it on, is it possible for it to dry quick enough to roll the next coat right on, or do you need to let it set for an hour or so between coats?
4.) When spraying it on, do you think you end up with a thicker finished product?

Anyone got any answers for a stupid guy like me?? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've been trying to check out all the sites and write-up that you all have done, but does anyone have a list of the pros and cons to spraying and rolling?

ecamp55 07-16-2003 08:41 AM

Re: More Herculiner Questions

As LEVE might say....
1. No
2. Probably about an hour
3. We let ours set an hour or so (it started raining as we were finishing the first coat, so we had to finish, move the CJ inside, and let the water dry before the second coat.
4. Don't know....didn't spray

It was really very easy....just wear old clothes and gloves

done 07-16-2003 10:09 AM

If it does start to dry out - add some thinner to it. I think the label recomends XYLOL. Check the label to find out the correct thinner.

thejunker 07-16-2003 12:25 PM

I have done this to 3 vehicles now, once in the east, twice in the west. Why does this matter? Hummidity!

Because you are in SLC, I assume, I think you will notice it trying to dry pretty quick in the pan. When all was said and done, I had a lot more stuck to the pan and bucket when I did it in low hummidity.

But, even with that, it was not a problem, covered everything right up, and looks great.

I let mine dry about 2.5 hours between coats, mostly because I had some other tasks to work on during that time.

CJ_More 07-16-2003 04:11 PM

I also rolled mine. There were no problems with it drying in the tray. I took me about an hour to roll from the top of the firewall to the tail-gate. I let mine set for about an hour and 1/2. I was very anal about the coatings I wanted to apply. There were areas on the Tub that I tried to build up to encourage drainage. All and all I was very impressed with the ease of rolling is on, plus I was able to control the amount applied in corners etc...
Good Luck

Smokngun 07-17-2003 02:19 AM

I can't remember if the instructions said this or not, but paint brush (actualy kind of dab) the stuff into all of the corners and edges first. Then, do the roller thing. It ends up very nice and finished that way. I can't imagine that stuff going through a paint gun, but I know some have done it, I liked the control I had while rolling it.

Here is the order/time frame mine went in:

Preped fiberglass tub per instructions
Used foam type paint brush for all corners
Rolled on first coat
Waited one hour
Rolled on second coat
Imediately pulled tape from edges that I masked off
Next morning, dry enough to walk in.
Use it ALL up. Once the can is opened, the Herculiner has been exposed to moisture and will harden. Even if it doesen't harden, you will never get the lid back off to use it again!

Ended up very evenly coated and very durable. Three years old now and there aren't any wear marks on the stuff!
Plan on throwing away everything you use to apply the stuff, roller pads, brushes, paint pan (use disposable liners). It just isn't worth the five bucks you spend on the stuff to bother using five bucks worth of solvent to clean it all off.

CJJ92YJ 07-17-2003 07:36 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I am going to start prepping tonight or tomorrow and hopefully apply it Saturday afternoon. One question on the prep: Do you think it would be too harsh of a prep to use a 4-1/2" grinder with a crimped wire brush attachment to clean it all up? The reason I ask is because the previous owner use a spray on adhesive when he put the carpet kit in there and when I pulled up the carpet the other day, a lot of the glue was left behind on the tub, and most of it is peeling. I just thought the crimped wire brush cup on the grinder would be an easy way to get it all up, plus scuff up all the paint real good.

midnitemechanix 07-17-2003 08:18 AM

I had the same issue with my old Jeep. The PO spray glue'd the carpet kit in...., [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] what a mess. I used about a half gallon of acetone to soften and remove most of the glue ( I highly suggest a well ventilated area, free of ingnition sources, gloves and a respirator), then after all was dry I hit the Jeep floor with the grinder and wire wheel. It worked well for me.