Help me with mechanic conflict - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help me with mechanic conflict

My 89 YJ has had issues with the hydrolic clutch for about 3 months now, I took it to a mechanic (new to me and not reffered by anyone)

They said that since I had allready recently replaced the master cylinder that it must be the slave cylinder inside the clutch.

They verbally quoted me without opening the transmission or even looking at it $250

I thought "wow sounds good"

So I took it to them then next day.........

After they opened it up they said "yup it's the slave, their is fluid all over it" the next day they called me and said it would be an iditional $125 for labor and $175 for an "upgraded cylinder made out of cast metal"

It would have totaled over $500 with tax and stuff but they agreed todo it for $500 flat

Now here is the problem.......

Pedal presure disapeared within 2 weeks AGAIN!

They said if they have to remove my trans to chekc it out and it is not the slave ..."they would charge me for the Labor because it is something else"

I didnt think this was fair so I sugeested we change out the MASTER just in case it happened to be that.....they said ok but for $35.00 and I supplied the part.

I said ok

4 days later, no preasure!

So now they want to try swapping out the lines for $75-95 free labor

Is this even fair? They never fixed the problem to begin with.

What recourse do I take? Help!

Are they liable? Shoudl I request my money back? What do I do?

The jeep is over at the mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:27 PM

Re: Help me with mechanic conflict

They may not be bleeding the hydraulic system correctly. The 87-89 are a bitch to get right. you will go through about a quart of fluid to get it all out,(air). I went through this a few years ago with mine, I had bad parts though. sorry to say most shops only guarrantee the hard parts and labor is the same reguardless. I did the work myself and pulled the parts 3 times and replaced the complete clutch hydraulics. Master, slave and lines. I feel for you. you may get some help from the manufacture of the parts,(if they are bad). But don't hold your breath. But have them try bleeding the system again and again till it gets right, or your sure the problem is elswhere.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They have blead the system many times now, bench blead (of the master, not their part) also and still nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Read the M/C lid! Dot 4 fluid only! This is the exact symptom you describe when using dot 3 brake fluid. Dot 3 boils easier and will loose pressure in a couple of weeks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:16 AM
Swansonoldcj

As a mechanic; I feel for you!
TELL THEM ! they will presure or vac. bleed the system w/dot4 at their expense or you will get the BBB, or BAR.on the case. They diagnoised the problem, but didn't rectify it...
STAND YOUR GROUND!!!!!!
Remember they broke it, they buy it!
Just an old world mechanic rambling... BUT THEY SHOULD STAND BY THEIR WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As the old saying goes; say what you do and do what you say!!!!
my .05$
gas.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:25 AM
Swansonoldcj

And I forgot, they want to charge another $175 labor when they are already looking at the slave!(ie tranny out of jeep) tell them 1/2 hr. aditional
MAX. or put my jeep back in the state it was brought to you in and bite me.................
you get nothing ! it will stand up in court if you decline the repair they have to give the vehicle back to you in the same shape they received it!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
gas.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:44 AM
Swansonoldcj

Sorry to make three posts on one question, but this pisses me off!
UNLESS they are changing the bellhousing and adding a release fork w/ a external slave! what cast cylinder can they be [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]ing you about?
every input shaft mounted slave I have ever seen has been made out of nylon(plastic). unless the,,,,,e got a really good machinist that works cheap i say fraud......
there are over 6 million vehicles on the road in ca. why do you have to rip anyone off???????????????????????

my .25$
gas. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:16 AM
CHUCKDJEEPSTER

Thats what I was thinking. What could be made of cast metal? Not the bearing. And the rest is made of plastic.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swanson I apreciate your feedback on the cast slave, however I did actually see it and ti was indeed cast.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Old Hand

Bloody hell... How much did they charge you?? Mind you you should have told them you didn't want the parts to be made out of 24K gold [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If somebody quoted me that kind of money I'd tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine... They must be of their trolley!!

I know it is difficult if you haven't got the ability to do it yourself, but surely you can find some buddy to help you out... Time to start learning and get your hands dirty....Everybody had to start somewhere and with the help of a good manual you're halfway there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode