98 Wranger Won't Start: No sound from the starter. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

98 Wranger Won\'t Start: No sound from the starter.

My 4.0 98 Wrangler started giving me problems a couple weeks ago. I'd turn the key and nothing would happen: The dash lights make it look like I'm starting... but no sound from the starter. I'd try and again... and vroooommmm... off I go. Well, over the week it took more and more attempts before the starter would "get juice" and start.
Now... nothing happens ever.

Its as-if the wire to the starter was cut. It looks fine... I gave it a good wiggle. I'm only 1 man, so I can't turn the key AND take a voltmeter to the wire... so I'm short on more information. I can say that my battery seems fine... lights are bright and stereo is loud. Wiggling the keys and playing with the clutch doesn't seem to help either.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:33 PM

Re: 98 Wranger Won\'t Start: No sound from the starter.

Well let me take a stab at it and a stab it will be [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Not familiar with the 98 tj, but here goes.

You may have a bad or missadjusted neutral safety switch if you have auto. if no and even if you do you may have a bad ignition switch. check the batt with a v/o meterand if you have 12.5 to 14 volts you should have a good batt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Its a manual transmisssion.... but I was thinking that the contacts for the clutch (which needs to be depressed) could be the culprit. I gave them a once over, and they look fine.

I'm positive its not the battery...

The ignition switch is located in the steering column?

Thanks,

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

You may have a "dead spot" in the starter.
Try tapping it lightly with a hammer. If it starts when you do that, you probably need to replace the starter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The ignition switch is located in the steering column?

[/ QUOTE ]
The lock system is "in" the column. But the ignition switch sits on top of the column just under the dash. There is a small actuator rod that feeds into the switch that the key depresses to accurate the switch. Unless they have changed from the YJ style< they use the old GM type switch witch can wear out kind of fast. I know some last longer than others but I have replaced lots of them they are relatively easy to do, . Again on a YJ or CJ.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:35 PM

has the starter ever been under water?

if so, the brushes are probably stuck.

those starters are really easy to rebuild. pull it out and unbolt the wire that goes from the solenoid to the motor. next, take the hex bolts out of the end cap of the motor and unthread the phillips bolts from the endcap. pull the endcap off. i then removed the brush-holder and brushes and cleaned the copper contacts with a piece of scotch-brite. then i used PB Blaster to free the brushes, cleaned everything really well with electrical contact cleaner, and put a little antisieze on the SIDES of the brushes (NOT THE END).

reassemble and test. mine works much better than before. if you really want to dig into it, pull the motor off the aluminum housing (watch out for the little ball bearing), clean the gear reduction pieces and put new grease on them.

matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope... never under water. I've jump thru my share of puddles though.

Here's the lastest info:

I took a screwdriver to the terminals on the starter (solinoid?)... and it make a "whrill" spinning sound. It did NOT sound like my starter does... but didn't sound broken or anything.

Should it have sounded like my starter normally does? Or did I enagage just the solinoid? (whatever that is).

I rapped the starter lightly w/ a hammer... that didn't help.

What is my next step?

Thanks guys,

Sam
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:33 PM
Way Outta Control

1. I'd bet the bendix in the Starter is toast...
2. The bendix gear is turning but not throwing out...
3. To engage the flywheel,
4. Or the one-2ay clutch in the bendix is bad..
5. Pull the starter and have it tested...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I figured it out. Here's the story:

There are 3 "contacts" on the starter solinoid. One combination just causes a "whirl" sound.. but the other fully engages the starter... and my Jeep started up just fine.

So I learned that my starter and solinoid were working...

After I manually started it (with a screwdriver).. the key start worked again... for a couple attempts... and failed for a couple... and my transient problem was back.

So on a guess I pulled the starter relay and replaced it. So far, no problems... I'm near certain that was the problem.

Thanks guys for all your help,
Sam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode