1972 cj5 suspension questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1972 cj5 suspension questions

Foks

I am in the process of resurecting a 1972 CJ5. The Jeep is a six cylinder and appears to be stock with the exception of a very old shackle lift. I have just discovered that my left side spring packs ( front and back) are sagging about one and one quarter inch. I have pretty much decided that I want to go with stock springs and re-use the extended shackles.

My questions are:

1. With 7 inches between the upper and lower bolts on the front and rear shackles how much lift over stock height will my jeep have when I install the new springs?

2. Can anybody recommend any spring shops or off road retailers in the St. Louis Metro area? I am taking a week of vacation starting July 21 and would like to tackle this project at that time.

3. It appears as though my Jeep has a Dana 30 axle in the front and a Dana 44 in the rear. Were these axles available as stock items on a 72 CJ5 or can I assume that they were installed by a P.O.?

4. The spring packs on the front of the Jeep have 10 leaves while the packs on the rear have 9. Is it best to go back with this arrangement or is some other setup better? I may take the occasional excursion into the mud with some of my local buddies but this truck will most likely spend most of it's time on the road.

Thans for any help.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 1972 cj5 suspension questions

D30/D44...yes, these were stock fo a 72.
If you want a stock configuration, the JC Whitney spring packs are the best way to go (IMHO) I believe the JCW 7 leaf pack at all 4 corners will give ya the best ride. If ya do a search on here you can find alot of info about this very subject
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:31 AM

I have a 2.5" lift on my 73 cj 6 and it rides nice . It is a skyjacker . I have a dana 44 and a 30 front . They are stock . If you are going to do a lift in the coming weeks start soaking all the bolts with PB blaster now . If you dont have a angle grinder with cutoff wheels . You may want to get one . When I went to disassemble my 6 it was all seized even after a week of pb blaster . So most of the stuff got cut off .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Pooh-Bah

Shackle lifts net half of the added distance between spring eyes.
Example- 4" longer than stock. 2" lift.
Beware though. They can also lead to wandering and bad pinion angles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:46 AM

I would go with the rubicon express 2.5 extreme duty kit and not go with a shackle lift to many problems and you can get the lift for just a little more than stock springs plus it comes with break lines, QD, u-bolt skids.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Cerrals

Get rid of the lift shackles, pre '75 CJ's have narrow springs, causing some wander with stock shackles. With lift shackles, the wander is terrible and if it is spending almost all its time on the road it will make you miserable. Since your replacing springs anyway, get your lift that way.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks to all responding.

After looking up the price of new springs in JCW I have decided to go ahead with a 2.5 spring lift. I was kind of suprised by the cost of springs ( even 7 leaf packs) in JCW.

Thanks again.

Wayne
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good choice on the lift. For sure get rid of the long shackles. Not only are the springs narrow but by tilting your front axle your steering angle gets messed up. Your actually steering into the ground and will cause a lot of bump steer. Also your approach angle is affected allowing you to hit rocks and stuff with shackles.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode