Relocating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Relocating

There's a very strong possibility i will be relocating to Garden City, KS in a few weeks. Anyone out that way?
This also means that I have to do something with the CJ. I wanna bring it along. Selling is definately the last option. How do i bring it along?

1) rent a big moving truck ($1000!?!?!?!) and park the Jeep inside it?
2) the only rig ive got available to tow is a 6 cyl Isuzu Rodeo.. capable of towing a CJ-5?
3) other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Relocating

I have moved mine on a trailer i wouldn't think the isuzu would like towing the jeep... i do know there are vehicle moving services you might try a local large car dealership used preferably and see if they have a cheap way to move akk the used cars they buy on auction. Do you have a carmax there they might be able to transfer it... I dont know really just some ideas..... [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:22 PM

Not sure about your Isuzu, but I flat towed my 58 CJ5 behind an XJ from SOCAL to Seattle (1200+ miles). I didn't have any major problems, and that was during the winter up and down through the mountains. You should be able to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 PM

i moved from ocala fl. to vermont a month ago, and put my wrangler inside the budget rental truck.total cost for the truck for seven days and 1640 miles was 635.00. you need to shop online for the best deal, and reserve ahead. i had a rollback come over and we put the jeep on it and rolled it into the truck. i filled the jeep and piled matts and other soft stuff on it and around it, and was able to fit a 3 bedroom house load of items along with it. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] for another 99.00, i rented the tow dolly and towed my honda accord behind.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

Finally! My experience(s) are 'on-point' to help out someone else. After so many questions and receiving so much help, it feels really good to be able to provide some advice.

The following advice is a summary compiled from moving 14 times in the last 18 1/2 years. (THAT's a small part of the downside of a military career. Don't get me wrong, there are still many upsides...)

#1: According to my u-haul rental agent (2 yrs ago), they're rules do NOT allow putting a vehicle ( like a Jeep) inside one of their big trucks. How are they going to find out? I don't know - that's up to you. I do not know Budget or Ryder's policies. Much easier loading into low deck of U-Haul than higher decks of the other box trucks, unless you have access to loading docks w/ vehicle ramps at both ends. If public, you have the added worry of someone turning you in to the rental company.
IF you do go the rental truck route, I suggest calling around and pitting one company against the other. U-haul will match or beat competitors pricing. I'd get the best possible deal between Budget and Ryder, then take that to U-Haul telling them they gotta beat (not match) the price. If they claim they cannot go lower in price, have them throw in some free extras like pads, dolly, boxes, etc. Again, having completed a number of self-moves, U-Hauls lower decks mean alot when you're loading a 26' van.

#2: I fried my '88 Trooper's engine and tranny towing a CJ-5 from VA to NC. At the least you will need an aux. ATF cooler. Even then, I wouldn't attempt it. You'll be cursing yourself everytime an uphill slope presents itself. Downhill situations may be too hairy (braking issue-wise) to have an oppportunity to curse yourself. IMHO, not worth the risk of frying your Rodeo drivetrain.

#3: For reasons stated in #1 & #2 above, if it were me, I'd get a tow dolly or trailer and tow behind a moving truck - even if you're not moving yourself and the moving truck is empty. However, here is something to consider: Even though the military moves us at no cost, I always do a partial self-move. Despite the royal PITA it is, I wouldn't do it any other way; I believe most saavy military movers do likewise. Moving companies' personnel have somewhat of a reputation for having 'sticky fingers'. No way have I ever had the time to properly document all the contents of a move or the condition of the material being moved. Additionally, many high cost items are easily pilferable and their insurance coverages are depreciated values. Other items of little intrinsic value have high sentimental value. Additionally, there are some items that the moving companies refuse to move at all... for various reasons. All these items, if somewhat easily moved by you should be. I ALWAYS move my own valuables, tools, firearms, photographs, money (coin collections), and the like. CD's and DVD's would be new stuff I'd add to my list next time around.

I hope the above is of some help to you. Godspeed in your relocation/move.

R/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I towed our project Jeep......a '79 CJ-7......from homoland (CA) to Iowa (1900 miles) on a trailer behind a U-Haul with an entire household of furniture and so forth. I used a low-pro Intl diesel with the V8 engine. It went like mad on the flats and crept uphill like a turtle. Those U-Haul trailers are very heavy.....much more than a Jeep requires....so it was a lot of extra weight. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Addict

So my isuzu wont cut it. Theres the possibility of a Toyota Tundra with a V8, that should be good for the job? While we are on the topic what is the MININUM requirments (length, width, and axle strength) I would want in a trailer for my 5 with 33's? What about vehicular towing capacity and engine? The ideal tow vehicle is a ???
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Can't Get Enough

Garden City, nice place, lots of cows, lots of corn, pretty flat, no rocks and the only mud puddles are in the ruts of the pivot roads. I lived south of there in Sublette for a year or two. Find a Cattle truck hauling a load from FL (a state with one of the largest cattle heards in the country) to one of the 25 or so major feed-lots in and around Garden Co.

Just kidding! Will the jeep not make the trip on its own? I would think it might be a fun adventure to drive the 2000 miles in an old CJ-5. Good luck.

P.S. It may be none of my business, but why would anybody move to Garden City? It's not the end of the world, but if you stand on a pop can you can see the edge! Hope all the flashing lights from the irrigation pivots won't keep you up at night!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Addict

As much as i wish the Jeep COULD make the great american journey, I dont think it would. It hasnt been fully operational in over a year.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
P.S. It may be none of my business, but why would anybody move to Garden City? It's not the end of the world, but if you stand on a pop can you can see the edge! Hope all the flashing lights from the irrigation pivots won't keep you up at night!

[/ QUOTE ]
Job opportunity. Garden City is not my final destination, just a means to an end. I think it's close enough to Denver and the rest of Colorado that i can escape and get some action somewhere.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 11:26 PM

My best friends job is to make road calls fixing Moving vehicles . Do not rent U haul ...90 % of the calls he makes are to fix stuff that should have been on a regular maintenance schedule . Uhaul does not seem to take care of their vehicles as well as Ryder . The Ryder calls are usually where someone put gas in a diesel (300.00 fee) He doesnt have a contract with Budget so I cant say much about them . Good luck with your move .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode