Rockwells - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 12:28 AM
dubboy

Rockwells

I was just wondering about how much rockwells from a junkyard would cost. Thinking about putting some on my next jeep that will be dedicated for off roading. Would people make fun of me for that? i have seen it done but a friend made fun of me for wanting to put that big of an axle on a little ol' jeep.
thanks, Wesley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 12:56 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Rockwells

1. I once saw a pair for $600 each...
2. I only had $25 to my name...
3. I'd like a pair on my Jeep...
4. Wow... would it lower the center of gravity!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:14 AM
dubboy

Well the plan is a CJ-7 with a 350, Dana 300 transfer case, Rockwell axles, I dont know about a transmission yet. I want to paint it john deere green with all the accesories and wheels john deere yellow. I hope to run 44s but who knows this jeep wont happen for a while just planning everything and dreaming lol. What do yall think???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like a great idea to me. You might want to check out some back issues of JP, recently rockwells have been all the rage along with portal axles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Swansonoldcj

Have you looked at volvo portals? They can be had w/disc brakes and cable operated lockers, but they are geared realy low. 6 or 7 to 1 I think. And quite doable in a cj.
sweet dreams...
gas.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Old Hand

Volvo Portals are a hell of a lot more $$ than RockWells.

Ive seen a set of front/rear rockwells go for $300-$500 thats 2 axles front and rear!

Volvo = $$$
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 08:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

man your not think the whole idea of a 2 1/2 ton rockwell through. they are geared at 7.17 and the smallest tire you can run with them is a 44 unless you want to crawl everywhere blazing your engine to the very last rpm it has. oh and when you get these please tell me when your on the highway and which highways you will be on. I do not wish to sit in the stop and go traffic that you will be causing. your jeep will be worst than a farm vehicle. oh and after the first week of installing them tell me how many cops have pulled you over and given you a ticket to get your vehicle inspection by an authorized inspection station.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 08:46 AM

Contact Wolfgang at killeraxles.com . He has mog , volvo and rockwells . They arent cheap if you are going to uswe portals though . And if its still the same in TN as when I lived there he will have no problems getting pulled over ...they dont even have inspection stickers there !
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey kid, how old are you? at least you sound like a child with these unrealistic dreams. but dont get me wrong it is possible. but the reason I say your being so unrealistic is because you haven't actually thought these "plans" through. but seriously if you want something hardcore don't go stupidly overkill b/c right now I don't look up to you for thinking your gonna get rockwells, I look down upon you b/c I think you might come to think about this matter and change you mind for lesser axle and that will be a dana 60 70 or 80. but while you got one of the dana's I will be a hell of alot stronger with my sunray axles. I guess you didn't know it but a 9" center section is actually stronger then those in the dana series. well I wait to you come realistic and thank me for saying all this
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow talk bout coincidence i was thinking of the same paint job... Except also a yellow rollbar...

Also why you bashing a guy for what he wants to do is it your jeep No dont dog him. Offer solid advice with out the slam why dont you [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode