O/T Briggs & Stratton Magneto Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T Briggs & Stratton Magneto Help

I got as a present from my stepdad a riding lawnmower that he torched the magneto/coil. Well I got the nwe magneto/coil and installed it, but i am unsure of one thing. There is a flat terminal on the magneto/coil and i was wondering if it is a Ground, or positive terminal? From the vage directions with the new part, it looks like a ground. I am asking because i have one wire that was hanging and looked like it should have gone there, and it was connected to the ignition switch ground - engine off terminal. I just wanted to know what the connector is for on the magneto so that i do not torch the $45 part.This is a 11 hp briggs & stratton motor. And the lawnmower is an Ariens 927 series

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 09:58 PM

Re: O/T Briggs & Stratton Magneto Help

You are right, it is the spade for the ground from the switch. When the this terminal is grounded, it kills the spark, thus shutting the engine off.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks!!!
Now I can get that wired, and then get a new solinoid and some ceramic thing that goes from the solinoid to the points (or somewhere that is in the motor)

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:22 PM

Any time.
"Ceramic thing that goes from solenoid to points?"
Can you describe this a little better? I work at the plant where these motors are built and would like to help you if I can. It sounds like something that the mower builder (Ariens) uses though.
Good Luck
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The ceramic thing is a "ceramic box" with a wire going through it. it is either it looks to be a reducer of some sort. The wire comes from the battery post of the solinois to the ceramic box, and then goes to a plug type connector, then the wire continues up iito the engine. I say up to the engine because i havent pulled off the gas tank or starter, and it goes past those parts.
The ceramic broke in half and looked like the wire burned or corroed, because it broke in my hand. I also noticed the corrosion was green. So I am going to try and find a replace ment for that one today.

thanks!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 01:23 AM

Danstew:

The one tab is a ground tab. connect your on/off switch here. Be sure to set the airgap between the coil and flywheel to .020". Best way:

1. Turn flywheel so magnet is AWAY from coil location.
2. Install coil, pulling away from crankshaft at you tighten the screws.
3. Rotate flywheel so magnet is directly under coil.
4. Use feeler gauge, microfiche card folded over, or equivilent...place between coil and flywheel.
5. Loosen mounting screws. Coil should stick to flywheel.
6. Tighten screws, rotate flywheel to remove spacer media.

I'm a B&S (NOT BS) MST (Master Service Tech) of 10 years. Email me at [email protected] for any other help you need.

As far as the wire you speak of....I cant say I'm familiar with it. It sounds an awful lot like the power wire for a headlight on a snowthrower on a Tecumseh motor....but I know you said it was a briggs on a lawnmower. Emailme if you ahve any problems!

-remy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Remy!!!!
I got the mower all put together, and it even works [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Fortunately I found the wire diagram for the 6 prong ignition switch. Turns out my stepdad installed the new ignition switch, and it wouldnt start, so he started to jump the terminals on teh back of the switch, and put power to the ground terminal that lead to the magneto (ouch!!)
So I replaced that and the solinod turned out to be bad, and also the ceramic thing. The ceramic thing was a fuse of some sort, the tech at the lawn mower place igot my parts from said repalce it with a blade type auto fuse and i am set. So Everything got put together, and she cranked up and ran just fine. The wife was laughing at me because i was doing figure eights in the backyard, and not even cutting the grass. So I got my self a free lawnmpwer. Now I just need a house to have a lawn to mow. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode