Radiator hoses for SBC conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:29 PM
cmcveay

Radiator hoses for SBC conversion

After repeated multiple keyword searches, I've only found one post regarding radiator hoses and it was two years old. It listed autozone part numbers but not a make/model that the part numbers were for and the email address for the user that posted it is invalid. So, my question is, does anyone have any idea what radiator hoses are needed to use a stock Jeep radiator with a small block chevy? My main concern in the bottom hose as I have a water neck to take care of the top hose.

The previous post is quoted below:

It took about an hour of walking the shelves in auto zone to find the hoses that i used, i went home with about ten different hoses.
Here's what I used, these hoses are formed:
Auto Zone #'s M76 & M068 (that's a zero not an 'o')
I am using the stock thermostat housing (angles to the drivers side)
You can also use the bendable hoses if you can find them.

Email:[email protected]
'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300

'83 CJ8 350,nv4500,d300,4"sus,1"bod
'52 M38
'52 CJ-3A
MVPA #26286

Thanks everyone.

Craig McVeay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 PM
pig

Re: Radiator hoses for SBC conversion

I thoght you had to use a chevy conversion radiator why did I just spend 200.00 for a radiator;-( [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 PM
cmcveay

You'll have less hassle. Of course, I may end up having to buy a new radiator too, I just can't stand to do that since I just put in a new rad a year ago. The 304 bit a couple of valves so I decided to make the switch. The new radiator is an upgraded 4 row that cost almost 300.00 and I'd really like to keep it. I'm calling autozone now to see if they can give me more help with this.

Thanks,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 PM

i tried finding a way to make it work and i couldnt find any way to do it cheaper than just buying a conversion radiator. i found that you can get electric water pumps and adjustable thermosat housing to make it work, but it costs over 300 dollar. you could get a long of enough peice of flexible hose to loop it back over to the right side, but thats alot of hose to blow at some point or have some other mishap happen to it and i wouldnt wanna do it with a mechanical fan. with your new radiator you could take it to a radiator shop and have them switch the sides of the input and output. a shop here in sd would cost me 50 bucks to do it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 PM
cmcveay

Autozone counter guy was no help. They can't reference those numbers to anything. I wonder if one of those fancy stainless steel flex lines would do the trick? It won't collapse under vaccum and it'll take a little more abuse. Of course, I'd buy two of them just to have a spare. I'll contact local radiator places on the change. Thanks,
Craig
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:06 PM

The po of my jeep used a 2 " galvanzied nipple and two flex hoses to connect the bottom up . It was nice !I bent up a piece of wire to simulate the bends I wanted my hose to take and walked the back rows of AutoZone and Advance . I couldnt find anything that fit very well . I ended up yanking it out and I put in a conversion radiator .It was 189 or so . Good luck on the hose hunt !
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Send me a PM at my e-mail [email protected]
That way I will remember at home....(I'm usually only on here at work [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]) I have the Napa part numbers that work from when I put the 350 in my Scrambler. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Randy, please post those NAPA numbers...
2. It may help others in a "search" for the identical problem in the future.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:18 AM

Hope I didn't cause any confusion- the following #s work if you have the radiator inlet and outlet moved or are using a conversion radiator. I got my radiator from Tellico Off Road- under $200.00

Ok- Napa part #s are:
1. 7575
2. 7470
The top hose works best with a water outlet pointing up and to the right, ask for one on a 95 Tahoe/Suburban/PU with a 5.7. The replacement cast iron ones are much better than the chrome o-ring type. The top hose had to be trimmed alittle, the bottom hose pretty much fits as is. I will attach a picture, I have been having a heck of a time trying to get them to show up in the post.
I have saved other part #s for this swap, and I am more than happy to help anyone out-just shoot me an e-mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1145503-engswap resize.jpg (65.4 KB, 11 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:23 PM

Thanks, Leve-I just can't seem to get the pics to show in the post. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode