Jeep Rubicon wheel hop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Jeep Rubicon wheel hop

Just bought the new Rubicon today.
Tried to climb a loose dirt hill my other rigs don't even flinch at. It wouldn't!
It'd get part way up, then the front end started hopping, losing traction.
Slow crawl, medium run, hard fast run ended up in the same place. That hill isn't that severe!

Now - what's the answer short of torching off the old Bronco type (POS) suspension and putting on a real one?

Wondering if the 9000 shocks with remote adjustable would help?
We used to double or triple, or quadruple shocks on the Bronco to dampen it, didn't cure it, just slowed it down some.

Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Addict

Re: Jeep Rubicon wheel hop

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one of the justifications for spending the extra money on a Rubicon is so you WON'T have to make suspension upgrade changes? This is surprising.

Scott
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

My buddy bought one of the Rubicons and took it wheeling one day. I watched it unlock its diffs at higher speeds. There is a fix for this that was in JP last month. It seems the diffs unlock past a certain speed. I think it is 10 mph.
This may be the reason why you are having a tough time.
Did anyone see if your wheels quit pulling?
Good luck, Ricky...seeya...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Not an unlock problem - but that too needs addressing. It's supposed to unlock at 10 MPH or above. Even unlocked but in 4 wheel drive it hopped. 2wd didn't hop, made it about the same.

Since it's just a Wrangler underneath I'm really surprised there aren't many complaints about it.

Maybe the way they lifted the Ford type suspension on the Rubi causes it, and it's too new for anybody to complasin about.

Yes, I bought it so I DIDN'T HAVE to work on it! It's touted as trail ready -- must mean a bike trail across a parking lot.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Addict

from what i understand, all tjs like to lift the left front under these conditions. it has to do with control arm length.

theres a guy with a tj that works at benz with my roomate. he has a tj that he just got lifted and he was in the parking lot showing off how it picks up the left front when he stomps it. i was like "yeah real cool buddy, think how useful that is when your climbing a hill and one of your fronts decides its not going to help anymore." [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 02:20 PM
RedSandDog

Do you have sway bar disconnects on there yet. If not, that is the source of your problem. The front bar is pretty stiff, and will not allow the front end to flex much at all. I would put on a pair of JKS disco's so you front tires can stay on the ground. They are pretty helpless until you disconnect the sway bars. Or just unbolt it and see if that fixes it. I'll but a dollar it does.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Disconnecting the sway bar didn't help at all.

The wheels still bounced up and down.
The hill's flat faced, so articulation isn't a problem - but that'll have to be addressed too.

I'm thinking heavy shocks with lots of rebound resistance is part of the answer.
Question - The Rancho shocks - the best? Or is there something better?

How 'bout the remote controlled Ranchos? The remote control - cables, air, hydraulic fluid? What does that system use to control the shocks?

And - the "Automatic" shocks - do they really work or is it just hype like Jeep did with the Rubi?

The hop isn't just on hills either, deep sand does it too - anywhere the axles have to pull hard - hop hop hop stuck!

So far I'm dissapointed in the Rubicon - it's not near what it's touted to be - it's a Mercedes with big tires - I'd bet a Mercedes with big tires would climb that hill better.

My old relatively stock Jeepster makes that hill without even trying!

Thanks again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
RedSandDog

Huh.

The only time mine ever did something like that was when the whole thing was stock. Got a little bouncy crawling up a rock, with the sway bars connected it would lift the tires, and it would bounce when it only had slight contact on the lifted side. I pretty much put the lift in right away (3.5 RE and DT3000 shocks).

Not something I have heard about, and there are 15 Rubis in my club. Does it do it locked and unlocked?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Locked, unlocked, high tire pressure, low tire pressure, Hi or Lo range. 2 wheel drive actually does better!
It acts just like the older Broncos did - they had forward pointing control arms just like Ford trucks nowdays - a bad design. First attempt I knew what it was right off from my Bronco days. Got a friend to watch, he confirmed it - wheels don't stay down -- bounce like crazy!

Since it's just a glorified TJ I'm surprised that some folks have never experienced it.

Picture this - drag a broom handle around at an angle pointing downward - like the control arms - it goes over bumps fine - as long as you are dragging it.
Now push it over those same bumps - catches on everything. Going forward the rear's draging, front's pushing.

Dampening it with stiff shocks merely slows down the hop vibrations. We had to do that to the old Broncos - double, triple, quadruple shock on the front - didn't stop it, just slowed it down some.

Seems like a 30K "Jeep?" right out of the box should be able to go down a sandy wash and climb a hill that isn't that much of a hill.
So far I'm dissappointed - I'm wondering if it's worse than the H2?

My Chevy 4x4 truck, my Jeepster, my M38A1, my "built" Tracker, even my stock Suzuki Sidekick on 205's make that hill without difficulty.

Anybody try the remote controlled 9000's?

I'm about to take it back and throw it at them.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 07:13 PM
RedSandDog

I pointed this out to some of the other Rubi owners down here, nobody has experienced this. Couple thought maybe a mech problem. Truth is, we can pretty much climb with anybody, but most have lifts/tires/shocks.

The only real difference between a Rubi front end and any other TJ front end is about 80 lbs and the high pressure shocks, maybe its the shocks, I dunno......

The guys with 9000's swear by them. One guy ground off the adjustment knob on a trail, but that is the only down side I have heard. The DT 3000s are OK. I may go to Bilstien 5100s.

You might post this up at the Rubicon board over at JU just to see if anyone else is fighting that. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode