Jeep Rubicon - comments? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Jeep Rubicon - comments?

I'm thinking about buying one - It wouldn't be for hard core wheeling, but fairly often. I'd still have my others for the really challenging stuff.

What have you heard about the Jeep Rubicon - good, bad - opinions.

It's $10,000 more but the D-44's with 4.11's, Air locker front, limited slip rear, 4:1 t-case, 16" tires are a good start. I'm considering it because I won't have to work on it all the time - leaves more time for other projects.

And -- sticker's about $30,000 - what's the best price you've heard of?

Anybody know dealer's cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:03 PM

Re: Jeep Rubicon - comments?

I thought that they were electric lockers.

Anyway, I havent heard anything bad about them. the TJ is a great platform to work from to start with, add in everything that the Rubi has, and you have a very capable out of the box Jeep. I think I will wait to get a used one. I cant see dropping 30,000 bones on it though.

Phil
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 01:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm pretty positive that they're electric lockers, not air. Also, the rear is a full locker when engaged, and limited slip when not. That price seems a little steep. I'd say somewhere around 26k or so would be a good deal. Also, I'd hope it comes with tires larger than 16"? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Ooops, rims are 16's. Tires are 245x16. Except maybe the low rider version.

The "salesman" said it was air lockers front, limit slip rear, and seems like I saw that on the sticker too - but not 100% sure. I was surprised too.

After thinking about it, there were a couple other things that didn't seem right either. I wonder if I was looking at a counterfeit Rubicon? Things I've heard about that dealer I wouldn't be surprised.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 08:49 AM

I am sure the Bubi is electric front and rear with d44 all the way around.
try and ask the stealership about technical issues like t-case ratios etc.... and see what they say. and then find a new stealership to deal with.

Phil
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

The rear axle acts as a limited slip in normal driving when needed press down on the locker toggle once to engage the rear "air actuated" locker press down the toggle a second time and the front "air actuated" locker will engage, now you can toggle the front locker on and off by pressing down on the toggle or to disengage completely front and rear, toggle the front locker off and then press the toggle up to disengage the rear. The system uses a low pressure air compressor which is mounted within the frame rails.
John
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Official Historian

The Rubicon has air lockers, not electric. They use only 7psi unlike the high pressure that the ARB lockers use though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 10:30 AM
GoldenEagle

30Gs, wow. Well, I'd ask yourself if the rubi-upgrade to the TJ is the way you'd want it if you built it yourself. In orher words, are those the lockers you'd put on it?

Around here you can get a used TJ for 15k or so, that leaves another 15k for mods, just the way you want em, and then your car note is only 15k, not 30.

Just a thought. I get that you want to save time to do other things (rather than working on the jeep) but there are a ton of decent rigs out there for sale, and 99% of them are less than a rubi.

Besides, you can always spring for the rubicon decals and drop em on your home-built. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck, and have fun whatever you do!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

So it is air, just not ARB.

Yup, 30K is alot of bread.

My reasoning:
I can sell my "built" '72 4x4 Chev PU for a bunch, it's great but takes time to keep it that way - frees up more time.
And sell my "built" M38A1 that I just bought, another chunk of time freed up.
And sell my Astro van while it's still in good shape - I'll cry when it goes, been good to me for 250,000 miles but soon another time grabber.

That liberates time, constant drain for parts and modifications, license and insurance costs.
That'll pay for way over half of it. Time for a new car anyway.

Then I can dedicate the newly liberated time, and money, to the crawler, the Jeepster, the 4x4 Tracker(s) and the motorhome!

Does anybody know the dealer's markup - need to know so I can cut the best deal with him. When/if I go for it, I'll make only one offer, no negotiation - it'll be a take it or leave it situation. They like to play games with the price, I won't. He needs to make something I understand, but not get rich on me. One lie, one trick and I go to another dealer.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 12:03 PM
RedSandDog

I have had mine for about 3 months. I love it.

My thoughts:

1: Price. I paid $26.2 with a five speed and EVERY other option. Dual top, 7 speaker stereo with sub (which BTW it the most worthless stereo I have ever seen in a new vehicle. Save your money and buy an aftermarket stereo), temp gauge in the mirror, everything but the Smokers Group. 28 something out the door with tax title and licsence. Single top, stock stereo units went for 24ish around here. $500 over invoice is a good rule of thumb.

2: Diffs are low pressure air actuated. Rear is also limited slip when not locked. It is a very good limited slip, easily as good as the old PowerLocks. Lockers do not work in 4HI, only 4LO, but that isn't really an issue as the LSD is fine.

3: People tend to react strongly to Rubicons on the trail. Some assume that I am a newby (which I am not), or they assume I should be out running the truely crazy 4.5 level trails (which I am not gonna, still have 58 payments left), or that I am mecahanically inept ("dude, you could built one for less.") which I am not, or I get the "Jeeps aren't bought , they are built" thing. Anyone giving me the last two are invited to bring their tools over to my garage and help me finsh up my CJ while they explain their point.

4: The front "D44" isn't really. The center section is a D44, but the axles, tubes, knuckles, all that is D30. You WILL have the same strength issues with the front end as you do with D30s except the ring and pinion won't break. That works for me, I can trail fix all the other stuff, not so much R&P. Axle upgrades are just now coming out from Warn and Superior.

5: Four wheel disk brakes are officially a "good thing"!

6: Whoever the intern at DC is that designed the T/C skid pan needs to receive an atomic wedgie.

7: Value. Are they a good value? For me, Yes. This is a rig that I want to run AZ trails on the weekend and still be able to show up in a clients parking lot on Monday and not freak anyone out (I do customer support for corporate banking, suit and tie stuff). IMHO, if you are looking for a serious trail rig, or are going to run 35" tire or bigger (again just my opinion, lots of folks out here are running 35s on their Rubi's, I just don't think 4.10s and 35s are a good match), or do things that regularly break a TJ D30, then building your own with a real D44 and lower gears might be better. That said, I have about $31k into my Rubicon right now, including CB, GPS, front roll cage, RE 3.5" lift, 305R16s (33") MTRs, Tom Woods DS, 9k lb winch, CO2 OBA all on a rig that is locked front and back has a 64:1 crawl ratio, is warrantied (no the lift does not void the warranty, warranty just doesn't cover lift and D/S now) and has less than 5k miles.

8: Build vs. Buy. Lots of folks tell me that I could have built for less. That may be the case, but I already have a project Jeep, and I didn't want a second one. I am yet to have someone come up to me in a rig with comparable hardware and tell that they DID build it for less than I bought, and I have had a number of people who do have comparable hardware say that they should have just gotten the Rubicon, given the $$ and time they spent. Not saying it can't be done, I am just saying I haven't seen it yet.

The Jeep is set up about the way I like it right now and I am looking forward to enjoying it for many years. The only other mods that are planned are rock lights (going in today), storage racks and boxes for extended trail runs, and a tummy tuck T/C skid once Kilby, Nth Degree and other get their production units out (probably do that end of August, in time for MOAB BABY!), and axle upgrades later this fall.

Well, those are my thoughts, time to go install the rock lights, got a night run tomorrow.
[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode