1/2 hard & 1/2 soft top project ... need soft top! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Addict

1/2 hard & 1/2 soft top project ... need soft top!

OK, here's the deal. I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for about three years now... which is to take an old hard top and cut it down into a 1/2 cab. The attached pictures show a hard top off of a '76 CJ7 which I cut down.

If you look closely, you may be able to see what would normally be the windshield channel for my bikini top attached to the back of the 1/2 cab. The next step is to find a soft top to cut down and attach to the 1/2 cab. I figure that I can use snaps from the channel down the side and back to the tailgate. Problem is, I don't know how well this will work and I don't want to spend a fortune on a soft top that I may trash. I have been watching for used tops on ebay for months and can't seem to find one for the right price. Anyone have an old soft top that they're willing to part with for cheap? Black is preferred, but I'll take any color for the right price.

Thanks, and I will post the final results when I get this thing figured out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1138705-CJ7halftop1.jpg (65.0 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: 1/2 hard & 1/2 soft top project ... need soft top!

1. I like the concept...
2. It may breath life into old broken hardtops!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Addict

1. I take that as a complement.
2. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 AM

Don't know about the top, but man what a back drop for a picture!!!! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Gorgeous, isnít it? I love to go up there in the evening around sunset. Itís a section of state land overlooking the Missouri River (actually Hauser Lake at that point) across the road from my house. Itís also the spot I dropped the Postal Jeep guys off in the middle of the night to campÖ they were duly impressed when they woke up the next morning.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 11:54 AM

Looks great so far. Sorry I don't have a top. Have you thought about approaching one of the top manufacturers. You know they'll swipe the idea before you could hide it in the garage. Perhaps they would part with a top (maybe a second that is defective in the front only) out of curiosity. Never hurts to boldly ask.
Can't wait to see it finished.

Good luck,
Scott
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool idea. Reminds me of a early 70's K5 Blazer I used to have. The top was removed and a wall built behind the drivers seat. It turned it into a really short bed pick up. Looked like a cartoon 4x4. Big wheels and little body. I wish I had a picture to show.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 04:28 PM

Re: 1/2 hard & 1/2 soft top project ... need soft

Try to find a small shop that repairs and replaces pleasure boat tops. They use the same material and are used to working with differing configurations. And you might be surprised at how reasonably priced they are. Sometimes guys working in a small shop will take on the job for next to nothing just to make something different.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 06:38 PM
jumpinNrollin

Looks good! Are you going to use the spreader bars and hardware or just make it into a fastback look? Can the sides be hooked to the inside to cut down on wind flap and water seepage when it rains? Love to see it when you are finished [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 06:43 PM
KenTheJeepGuy

I may have an old soft top lying around. I cant say for sure if it is still here, and it would be for a CJ-5. dont know if that would work for you.
If you would be interested in it i can take a look around and see if that old thing is still here, or if i pitched it.

ps. it isnt anything pretty, and i dont know what all is left of it but i thought i would offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode