What temp does your AMC V8 run at? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

What temp does your AMC V8 run at?

Just wondering what engine temp your AMC V8 runs at? I have a slightly [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] built 360 in my 72 Commando and usually it runs around 195. It has been pretty hot here the past few days and it is getting closer to 205-210. I am thinking of putting on a new clutch for the fan and I do have an electric pusher fan I could add if I had to. It currently has a 3 core radiator and I'm pretty sure I put in a 190 thermostat. It doesn't have a shroud right now but I do plan on getting one on ASAP. I was also thinking about adding louvers to the hood to let out some heat. If most seem to run the same way I wont worry about it too much though. If not what have you found to work best in lowering the temp a few degrees?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 01:06 AM

Re: What temp does your AMC V8 run at?

Around town my 401 gets to between 180-195 on a hot day. If I get on the freeway, it gets up to 205-210.
I`m running a 160 deg. t-stat, 3 core waggoneer radiator and a high flow pump. I`m going to go to an aluminum
radiator soon myself because I`m not comfortable running that high a temp.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

before my rebuild... the 401 ran about 190 around town.. wheelin... but freeway.. it would get up too 205 - 210... had cj 3 core radiator... and clutch fan.. with a 185 stat... now that im rebuilding it.. im going aluminum 4 core.. no inner fenderwells.. atleast till next year..
i had thought about the louvers also.. it was really hot inside there.. and i would just try letting some of that hot air out first.. but keep in mind.. water.. you dont want that splashing all up on the engine.. and what not..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Mud in my Veins

Dave, my current 304 ran about 190° all day long with a 195° T-stat. I swapped it out before the JAM for 180° T-stat and it ran hot going up the mtn. (under geared I guess?). Then it ran fine in the woods, on the Parkway, and borderline coming back home (but that *might* have been all the mud in the rad. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). I'm guessing the rad. is marginal with the 180 and better with the 195. I might try a shroud or break out the hole saw for some ventilation...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 08:09 AM
Ellis

I rarely drive my jeep on highway, but when wheeling the temp usually runs around 200 to 215 depending on how how outside temp is.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My temp guage reads from 160º on up to 190º on a hot day. 160º is a little cooler than I'd like to see for an operating temp, but I thinkI was loosing some temp through the capilary tube for the guage. when Ever I've used te Laser temp guage I get 180º on the T-stathousing. If mine reached 200º I'd have the heater blower motor running personally....

brent
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well my newer XJ with a 4.0 always runs at 210 but newer motors are supposed to run hotter I guess. I have had no problems from the 360 and it hasn't crossed 210 yet. I am looking for a good shroud to put on, mine was cracked into a few pieces, and I'll see how it does with that. If that doesn't help too much I will experiment with raising the back of the hood to let some hot air out and see if that helps before adding louvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode