1953 M38-A1 body Swap over to 86 CJ-7 frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1953 M38-A1 body Swap over to 86 CJ-7 frame

I am in the process of swapping the body, tranfer case and transmission from a 1953 M38-A1 jeep over to the frame of a 1986 CJ-7....the engine i am using is a chevy 283 bolted to a T-90A transmission then out through a Dana 18 off set transfer case....I am using the AMC-20 rear end from the 86 frame and a dana 30 front axle with 3.73 gears. i have a 4" spring lift and a 3" body lift......my question to all of you in the know is this......will i have any problems using the off set transfer case and the centered inline AMC 20 rear end?? i.e....any vibration problems or u-joint failures because of the offset angle?.....to me it looks like haveing a lift put in the jeep...but instead of up and down angle it is side to side....but then i also have the up and down angle with the 4" spring lift. I have not been able to get a driveline on to check out any problems because i need to have a longer one built since the original off the M38 is to short.....but before i did this i thought i would ask if anyone has tried this or has any ideas on this set up.....thanks in advance for any answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 1953 M38-A1 body Swap over to 86 CJ-7 frame

That's going to depend alot on how long the driveshaft ends up.

By the way, the offset transfercase that looks like the Spicer/Dana 20 is the 18. The number should be cast into the side, at least it is/has been on all mine.

You might be able to find someone with the opposite problem, somone that needs an 18 and's willing to trade.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i measured the length from the axle yoke to the transfer case yoke and it is 26 inches from center to center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you,re right...it is not a spicer 20 transfer case......i have the Dana 18....thanks for the I.D help!!!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 09:42 AM
JeepinPete

You are right, and you should have no problems.

Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Addict

This may be a stupid question but, what are you going to do to make the CJ5 body long enough to mount to the CJ7 frame? Are you going to just cut the back of the tub open or extend the cowl or....

Just curious, since it may be something I'd like to try in the future.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i used my 53 M38-A1 tub and the front fenders and hood from the CJ-7....fit perfectly as the CJ-7 fenders and hood are longer then the M38,s
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I doubt there would be any problem because a U joint, CV joint, Hemi joint, or any other kind of joint you name that ends with "joint" are supposed to operate at multiple angles. the angle however isn't allowed to be too steep or esle it causes failure. so you driveshaft should work at a side-to-side and up and down angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode