valve cover question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

valve cover question

hi there

i'm looking into replacing my plastic valve cover on my 82 CJ7. On some of the ads I've seen for aluminum covers they say drilling and tapping of the cylinder head may be required. can anybody tell me how i can tell if this is necessary for me? what do i need to look at on my engine to determine if i would have to drill some new holes?

thanks
patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Re: valve cover question

As far as I know, if they say "may be required", if you have never drilled and tapped for a valve cover then it "will be required".
It's really not that hard, the holes already exist in the head, you just have to drill them deeper and tap them. Only danger is drilling too deep and getting into the collant passages, but even that isn't really a disaster.
I drilled too deep on my first hole and just plugged the bottom of the hole with an allen head set screw.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:38 AM

Be sure and use lots of Locktite on that allen head set screw so it won't migrate into the water passages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Journeyman

I changed over to the alumninum valve cover a couple of years ago, I had forgotten what i had to do to make it work, until I changed out the valve cover gasket last week, like the guy said in the previous post, they do have to be drilled deeper and retapped, however the aluminum valve cover I have, also has holes on the very front and back of the head. These do not match up to any existing holes, there is a spot, but not a hole for them in the head. If you want to use the front and back holes on the valve cover then you will need to drill two new holes and tap them at those locations. I didn't use the front and back holes, however I can't tell if it really has any effect on the valve cover as far as leakage goes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:55 PM

I have to replace the cover on the 258 in my 85 CJ7 as well. One thing I found was I can get a new plastic cover or a aluminum cover for that year. Or there is metal one available for 258s that goes up to like 1980 or something. Anybody know the difference in the valve covers and why the older metal one won't work on newer engines? thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Way Outta Control

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:37 PM

I just got done replacing mine, it really isn't that hard of a project. You do have to redrill and tap the holes. On the driverside the valve cover is held on by some cheasy setup using the head bolts and large washer type things. The pilot holes are there but they are not threaded or deap enough and have to be drilled out. I drilled to deep on my last hole and screwed a stud into it to seal it. The other thing is the hardware on my aluminum cover was larger than the bolts that held on the plastic cover. So since I had to drill the driverside holes out I went ahead and did both sides at the same time.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 06:04 PM

If you want to go to a good cover that doesn't leak and doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the 4WDHW one does, do what I did..
Get one off a late 80's YJ or AMC eagle w/ the 258 that has the alum. one. You can buy them CHEAP and then do the drill and tap thing if you have to. (I didn't on my 85) You should be able to do the whole thing for under $35 unless they rip you on a cover. I love mine. No leaks at all. And they are out there if you look. I've seen several at other yards and have sold about a dozen of them over the last few years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1133619-cover.jpg (49.8 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:21 PM

if they ever come up with a better gasket like the one for the oil pan, instead o that cork one. things would be great.Maybe we should petition felpro.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:43 PM

I have one of those aforementioned metal covers from a '77 258 for sale, dirt cheap... if anybody thinks they can use it, just shoot me a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode