Engine swap questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine swap questions

I have an 89 wrangler with a 2.5 that I'm going to be replacing shortly with a GM 305 and a SM465. I have several questions regarding the swap. I've ordered Novak motor mounts, hydraulic clutch kit, and an adapter to mount my NP231 to the Muncie.

1. Has anybody ever rebuilt a SM465? The Novak adapter requires that the mainshaft in the transmission be replaced. Any thoughts on this?

2. What about engine placement? My thought is to keep the transfer case in the original position and just mount the motor where it lines up provided there is enough room for the distributer and radiator.

3. Has anybody ever changed the input gear in a NP231?

4. Radiators. The conversion radiator is something like $500 bucks. Kind of expensive. I'm planning on finding one from a junk yard and fabricating new mounts. Does anybody know of a good radiator to start with that can be modified to fit.

Any advice that the experts on this board could provide will be extremely helpful. By the way if your looking for some good information about engines, clutches, trannys, and t-cases check out the Novak website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Engine swap questions

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. So why not fill out your profile?
6. You my find yourself on an upgrade path that's hard to get off
7. If you're surprised at the cost of a radiator,
8. You won't like the cost of the rest of the path.
9. You'll likely change:
[*] Engine.[*] Radiator.[*] Shroud.[*] Motor Mounts.[*] Transmission mounts[*] Transfer Case.[*] Driveshafts, front and rear.[*] Front and Rear Axle and gearing.[*] Upgraded Brakes.[*] Fuel Pump.[*] Fuel lines.[*] Gas tank.

10. And when done with the swap,
11. You'll stand back in awe...
12. Of where all the money went.
13. IMHO... swap in a 4.0L... and be done with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Addict

yeah, the 4.0 is a great motor, but one mention of it and his ax-5 tranny will take off running down the street.

but still much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's too late for the 4.0 I already have the tranny, engine, clutch, and bell housing. I figured that if I was going through the trouble of changing an engine I might as well go for the V8. I didn't like the fact that I would have to change the wiring harness for the fuel injection on the 4.0 Plus, I can also add injection to the 305 later in life if I want to. With the 4.0 I would have had to change the transmission anyway. Why go with a mediocre AX-15 when I could go with a monster like the Muncie (with granny gear)? Also the avaliability of parts for the Chevy is outstanding. I just hope that I haven't gotten in over my head with this project.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:56 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Bezerk, Why not a 350. If i was going to go to the trouble of swapping in a SBC I would go with at least a 350 . You can get an aluminum radiator from summit for 169, But you have to fab some mounts.It was pretty easy. I just drove my 7 for the first time since April 20th. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] It has been at the paint shop. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:48 AM
Old Hand

I like the 305. They're cheaper, and easier on axles. I rebuilt my sm465 with some help. I Wouldn't call it an easy job, but it is do-able. The hardest part is to get the three bushing pressed on and back off. I'd also order a set of synchros. You just as well do them while it's apart, and the 465's have a habit of chewing up 3rd gear synch's every 100,000 miles or so.

If you can find someone to do the press work for you for cheap, that would be my recomendations. We used a bottle jack press and heat, but it wasn't the smoothest assembly in the world. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you have if you need help, post it here or PM me.

Good luck with the project.

JD [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all of the great info.
What radiator did you get from summit? What kind of car or truck was it out of? I don't think that the SM465 will be that much of a problem now. It came apart rather easy. The only thing that I'm worried about is getting the needle bearings to stay put inside the input shaft when I install the new mainshaft. I'm not too worried about pressing the bushings off. The company that I work for has an extensive machine shop with some very competant machanics. Doe anybody know anything about splitting the cases on a NP231? I hope that it comes apart as easy as the transmission.

Thanks again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:59 AM

I am putting in a 350. I got the 19"x24" Aluminum Chevy radiator from Summit for $189.00.
When I set my engine, I tried to get the crankshaft about the same height as the 258, and I also measured the rear yoke on the t-case for height, and width. (offset) I had to offset my enginge about 1 1/2" to the drivers side so the front driveline wouldn't hit the tranny pan.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

I got the 25 3/4`` x 19``. SUM-380325 $169.95
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 07:15 PM

I will be ordering the same radiator that you have. Two core with 1"tubes,cools like a 4 row. When you swaped your 350 in did you keep the t-case and tranny in the same spot,or did you move them to fit the motor. I am planning to do the swap as soon as I can get some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode