Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-18 is in... final judgement
After several months of searching, finding, waiting, tearing down, rebuilding, waiting on more parts, and fianlly getting it all together, I Got the T-18 installed Thursday night.... and Friday morning... :P
With the much appreciated help of CaverDave. This one definitly took longer than imagined..... ended up with a couple more problems than expected......
First issue was that I had my custom dual exhaust installed since I bought the CJ. so as we found, my exhaust pipes cradled my Bellhousing, tranny amd T-case nice an snuggly..... So picture it, BH, Trany,T-case all bolted together, on a tranny jack, don't forget about the throwout arm sticking out the BH. Twisting and turning, rotating, prying, dragging, shoving, sratching (heads not paint). Oy yeah, It wasn't until after we wrestled all that out that we looked back up and realized that the passenger side exhaust was going to have to come out since the T-18 pushed the D20 back 3 inches and that would run it right into my exhaust which had been bent to just go around the T-cases stock location..... Boy it sure would've been easier to pull one hanger and three collector bolts on the exhaust rather than fighting all the that crap already....
Anyway, got every thing bolted over after hunting down bolts and putting the final sealants on flanges. got the T-18 up into position and bolted down, followed by the D20. I started work on Ujoints for Drive shafts, while Lambe went to work measuring twice and cutting and drilling once to convert my T-150 tranny mount into a T-18 tranny moount. BTW don't go by part numbers... the part numbers for the T-18 and T-150 are the same ( at least the ones I found) but they certainly aren't the same part. Do biggy though, dave managed just fine, and with some minor adjustments from a handy dandy 6 foot pry bar we "bolted it right in" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] That's not to say anything about Dave's measurements, it was just for effect, that pry bar was HUGE! Ended up taking the stock T-150 tranny mount, drilling two new holes to bolt it to the bottom of the T-18, then took a stick of 1/4" bar stock that I had and drilled matching holes in it to use it.. 1: as a spacer, and 2: as a torque arm for the stabalizer stud. worked perfect...
Anyway, got it bolted in, rear driveshaft in, still need to do front... come on it was 3:30am I didn't need it to get home, so screw it, I'll get to it later, needs new U-joints anyway... So with no right bank exhast, just straight header, I fired her up for her test run. I swear It sounded like I was in a drag racer. BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA!!!! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Some Clutch linkage adjustment....and I sailed home. Called in Sick Friday... just didn't mentioned what made me sick.....
Yesterday I went over to this grassy hill with about a 40º incline to it. dropped it in 2lo, and she walked right up the hill. pretty damn cool, quite an improvement over the T-150
much appreciation to Caver Dave for sticking it out till the wee hours of the morning making sure I could make it home... or maybe you just didn't feel like running me home... hmmmmm... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]