Remote power. (full current) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 03:04 AM
KenTheJeepGuy

Remote power. (full current)

I am wondering if any of you have good suggestions as to how to get lots of juice to different places on your jeep.
I would like to be able to have access to power terminals on the front and the back of my jeep, for jumping batteries, powering winches and other accessories.. etc.
What is a good way to get this kind of juice from one place to another?
I could just buy ALOT of like 0ga wire and spend $$$$$ for this setup...
or i have heard some rumors in the past of some cheap and easy alternatives. (like arc welding lead)

Also does anyone make terminals for a purpose like this?
and what kind of connections would i need to power a winch off something like this?
Would clamps carry enuf juice, or would i need like a real disconnect of some sort?
I have seen stuff like this done on tool trucks and service vehicles, but i want it on my jeep.

Thinking about buying a electric hitch mount winch. and so i would like to be able to easilly connect it front or back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 04:30 AM
Old Hand

Re: Remote power. (full current)

I tried a google search for Quick Disconnect Jumper Cables
Good luck with your project. HTH [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, you're going to want at least two gauge if not aught stranded wire.

You can use welding leads (which are usually in that range) but they cost just as much as regular stranded wire from Home Depot or the local electric supply.

To save money I'd run a lead from each negative battery terminal you have to the frame. Make sure it gets a good ground, preferably grind the frame where you're going to bolt it on.

Run a positive cable from each battery to a Furd starter solenoid off a diesel and from the Furd solenoid to the back of the vehicle. You can isolate the two batteries with a solenoid as well. What this does is keeps that wire from being hot all the time. In my opinion, wires shouldn't be left hot all the time if they're not fused near the source.

For termination you can use the connectors they use on fork truck batteries. Some places have started selling similar ones for boat batteries. You can buy two pair. Use the female ends on the front and back of the Jeep. You can use one male end for a winch and the other male end to run jumper cables out of.

PS: you can pick up 2 gauge 20' long jumper cables for about $30. This should provide you more than enough wire. I just believe 2 gauge is marginal for a winch. You're going to be losing enough voltage to heat in the winch so you don't need to be losing it in the wire as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 03:12 PM

Besides big wire and connectors, those repair trucks you've seen also have MONSTER alternators, usually ones designed for ambulances. With all the lights, computers and patient care equipment they need lots of juice. I know that both Ford and GM make altornators for ambulances. Shouldn't be too hard to copple up brackets for one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode