Meet the Newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Meet the Newbie

I just bought a jeep CJ7 1984. There seems to be a 4-6 inch lift2. The transfer case has been lower 1 inch with spacers, this seems to cause the engine to tilt upward. This has caused problems with the clearce of the new fan shroud I bought. So i bought a 15 inch flex fan. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did you do to fix it.

My other problem is the steering box seems to hit with the metal hoses on the body and radiator. I not sure if there is a special bracket the decreases the angle due to the lift. Any pictures would really help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1132106-E-mail Project1.jpg (25.8 KB, 114 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Meet the Newbie

well i can't help ya but someone on here can.but welcome to you new home [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. So why not fill out your profile?
6. The problem you've go is not unusuall,
7. The lowering kit was put in place to keep driveline vibration to a minimum,
8. IMHO.. it's a poor solution to a problem.
9. As fo the power steering... nope, no kit I now of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 08:24 PM
Old Hand

Howdy and Welcome
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

congrates on getting a CJ7. I was gonna get one then I ended up with good grades so my parents bought me a TJ. And glad you joined as I recently did, I love this website I spend all my free time on it. I wish I could help you but that problem I have no clue of how to fix, sorry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 04:41 PM

Since nobody has answered your question yet, I'll go ahead and do that (even if it's waaaay too late).

The skidplate has been lowered to improve driveshaft angles caused by the lift. It should generally be kept as-is. As you see, lowering the one end raises the other, and the fan shroud is noticably affected.

General rule for when something largely inexpensive doesn't fit: make it fit. In the case of a fan shroud, redrilling mounting holes through the plastic roughly 1/2" lower than the factory holes (or however much lower you have to go to space your shroud properly) should solve your troubles.

Or, as you've done, you can buy a fan that does fit... more expensive, but congrats, you've solved your problem.

Unfortunately I can't quite visualize the problem you're having with your steering box. Do you mean that it is hitting brake lines (metal hoses?). There are several aftermarket steering box brackets and such available, but all will generally have the same stock angles. If you can get a few photos of the problem, it should help get you alot more recommendations.

Congrats on your purchase, and lots of luck n' fun.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Stranger

I'm also having a hard time visualizing your steering box problem...are we talking pitman arm, tie rod ends, steering shaft? A picture here may say a 1000 words, or at least a little more information. Maybe you need a lowered pitman arm??? Not really sure.

As for your other problem...if the Jeep was lifted your radiator (if it wasn't done already) may also need to be repositioned.

LargeAl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode