toploader transmission swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:48 AM
RICKH77

toploader transmission swap

Has anyone ever heard of this swap. I was looking around for a T-18 and found a 1978 Ford Toploader 3sp w/overdrive. I currently have a AMC360, T-150, D20 in my 1976 CJ7. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this swap or can direct me toward someone/where who has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 02:10 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: toploader transmission swap

Nobody seems to have done this swap.

I'm guessing that you have a RUG transmission. It's all cast iron with external linkages (shifter mounts to the outside of the tailhousing). There is also a cast aluminum SROD with internal linkages (shifter in the tailhousing), and a RTS aluminum case with aluminmum top shifter (internal linkages).

I don't know of an adapter that's available, so I'm trying to swap the overdrive internal components into my T176. I haven't gotten all the answers YET. But there doesn't seem to be much information out there.....

I don't know what you are thinking of trying... but you'd have to come up with an adapter or new tailhousing to make it work.

I was thinking of using the tailhousing from a bronco, and cutting/brazing it to the tail housing of the OD trans, then having a new output shaft made, but with a CJ5 I have to consider LENGTH of the adapters. Swapping the gears seems to be the best way to go.... I just don't have it worked out ...yet.....

Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Swansonoldcj

I'm not positive but I beleive advance makes an adapter
for this critter, I'd contact themto find out,I think you have a t&c 4speed. When ford used it in cars it had external shift linkage, in truck apps it was top shifted.
good luck! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:37 AM
RICKH77

Thanks for the info. I'll get ahold of Advanced Adapters tomarrow.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 11:00 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey Rick,

Did you get a hold of Advanced Adapters? I was just curious as to what they told you.

Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 01:18 AM

I was under the impression that a " Toploader " was not a make of transmission but a type of transmission where as the gears load in ftom the top as the T-18 Np435 etc.there being sideloaders and back loaders ETC.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 07:52 PM
RICKH77

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to the board, I've been working a lot of overtime lately. I checked with AA they have adapters for the toploader. It is under t&c 3sp w/overdrive. The problem wtih the t&c is the the external shift linkage. It shift from the drivers side. They have adapters to replace the external shifters with a top plate shifter, but it would be really expensive to put it all together. I decided to abandon the t&c swap. I ended up finding a couple of np435's. I am going to pick them up next weekend. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode