Little different question on setting pinion angle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
BMB
Veteran

Little different question on setting pinion angle

Can you set the rear pinion angle properly by just having the rear springs setting on jackstands?

The axle I'm putting in has a different lug pattern than my old and I haven't gotten new wheels yet, so I thought about just setting the axle on the springs (SUA) with the Jeep loaded to "curb" weight on the jack stands and set the angle from there.

Will this work?

BMB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Swansonoldcj

Re: Little different question on setting pinion angle

I'm sure you could,as long as you can load the suspension so it's all sitting as it will be with the tires on. But it may be dificult to get the springs and shackles to relax unless you do it with the front wheels on the groundand the rig sitting level and loaded as it will be when complete... might be a better idea not to rush it and wait for your wheels. cause I don't think you'll be able to simulate the springs position while sitting on a jackstand it will be loaded at different points.It may only make a degree or two diferance,but maybe enough to cause a vibration. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]gas.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: Little different question on setting pinion angle

The way you want to do it will work. I set both my axles up that way. My only suggestion would be that you
make sure the center line of the axle sits off the ground as close as possible to where it will be with the new
tires and wheels mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Little different question on setting pinion an

I would think that you can do this. I would compensate in the front by using whatever (2x10) underneith the front to level it out. That is hub to floor and hub to floor is identical. This was what we had to do when we did alignments with the old portable Snap~On turn tables. You had to compensate for the height of the turntables to get a proprer caster reading. It should be no different for you.

But ....why wouldn't you just make sure that the rear yoke is parallel to the t-case yoke? Unless this is a cv/sye application ...the yokes should be parallel if you stand the jeep on its end ...fully extend the suspension .....or fully compress it (some minor restrictions apply)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode