OT looking at a used cherokee for the wife - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT looking at a used cherokee for the wife

Greetings,

My wife's four door dodge is finally dying. We are also expcting our first child in Novermber.

Without any provocation from me (maybe a little), she is actually considering a 96 cherokee sport for sale.

It's got 119,000 miles on it, but the engine looked and sounded good when we test drove it and she liked it. The only problem that I could see was minor, the pistons on the back lift gate are shot and need to be replaced.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough guesstimate of what price is good, or if she should go for another 4-door?

Does anyone here have a cherokee or an opinion? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:09 PM
tuckjaminout

Re: OT looking at a used cherokee for the wife

Why not go into the XJ room and ask there? There's usually someone in there that has one for sale....... [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:27 PM
cj7_laredo

OK so you're not trying to trade the wife for a used cherokee.. good move [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I would suggest staying with a 4 door, you'll find it a lot easier to get a car seat in and out. As for the pistons I dont think they are too hard to come by and not hard to relace.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
OK so you're not trying to trade the wife for a used cherokee.. good move

[/ QUOTE ]

No, although I've seen a couple of ads in the local paper, and I think she's trying to trade ME!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I did check out the cherokee forum and they were helpful, and my mechanic is going over to take a look at it.

Oddly enough it is a 4 door, and I caused a bit of controversy with my friends, many telling me that the sport only came in 2 door versions and a few holding out that there were also 4 door versions. At this point, 4 doors is mandatory say all who have done the kid thing.

Thanks,
Mick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Way Outta Control

I think she's trying to trade ME!!

[/ QUOTE ]1. Smart Woman!
2. I always say, Trade up! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Pooh-Bah

Make sure you have her sit in back and see if she can stand it. Mothers tend to want/have to ride in back with the new baby and there is not much room at all in an XJ rear seat, even a 4 door. I drove one for 3 years for work and I would do whatever it took to make sure I always got a seat in the front. The seat is small and there is very little leg room.
Don't get me wrong thouhg, I loved mine and almost cried when the company took it back and gave me a 2wd Expedition [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I always say, Trade up!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

She'll have to wait for one of those "drive it in, drag it in" trade speicials, cuz I'm going kicking and screaming!

in resopnse to uglyjeepoffroad:

I didn't even suggest the Cherokee to her. She saw it and pointed it out to me. I made sure she sat on, opened, looked at and listened to everything when she test drove it becuase it'll be hers more than mine. It seemed to be the size and shape she was looking for. But I'll make sure she looks again when we go tomorrow.

Thanks all,

Mick

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Official Historian

I'm almost positive the 2 door and 4 door are the same dimensions, just the 2 door has longer doors, thus the same wheelbase and overall length. I don't see any advantage at all to a 2 door.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

As a former Jeep/car salesman (wait,wait, read on don't hold it against me!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) I might be able to help you find a price. I would suggest www.edmunds.com they will give you three different values Trade In(wholesale), Private Party(close to what you'll end up paying), Retail(just like it sounds). You'll want to take a week off work to dicker with the salesperson(and his manager,whom he'll run to 40 times), as that will be as long as it takes to get to the right price. Ultimately you want to get as close to that wholesale number as possible. Here would be my suggestion do your homework and know roughly what it's worth on a wholesale basis. Walk in, tell your salesperson your ready to buy today and cut them a check for no less than $100(to show you're serious). Make sure to do this in the form of a check so if they fiddle around with you if you want to walk, you walk and cancel the check. Now tell them you will pay them $500 over what they have into the vehicle. If a dealer can make a small profit they'll be happy. But also have them justify what they say they have into it, it should be in the relm of that trade-in value on edmunds. It may be quite a few hundred off. Most likely you will receive the age old line of "that's impossible". Nicely explain to them if they want to make the sale and get the Jeep off of their lot "TODAY" (make sure you use that word) they will make it happen. If they continue to scratch for more get more out of them in return i.e. oil changes, extended warranty, any small inperfection repaired. I sold Jeeps and cars for close to five years and in one way I hated people that did they're homework because I made very little money off of them, but at the same time they were the perfect customer they didn't take long they new the vehicle and the price they were looking at it was pretty cut and dry.
Hope this helps
John
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

It may be quite a few hundred off. Most likely you will receive the age old line of "that's impossible". Nicely explain to them if they want to make the sale and get the Jeep off of their lot "TODAY" (make sure you use that word) they will make it happen. If they continue to scratch for more get more out of them in return i.e. oil changes, extended warranty, any small inperfection repaired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should just print this post, let the guy read it and say, "Now how much will you pay me to buy your Cherokee?" [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode