Just got cherrybomb glasspack..?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Just got cherrybomb glasspack..?\'s

My brother just got me a cherrybomb glasspack for my birthday, and was wondering if anyone here who has one can tell me what part number they have on theirs or did. Mine has angled inlet and outlet pipes, and I'm not 100% sure if it will fit, and if I can even put it in myself. Also, if anyone has some helpful links or tips on installing it, and if mine is the proper fitting muffler, that would help.
Also, which end is which? There is a shorter end, and a longer end. Which end should be headed out the back and connect to the tailpipe?

Inlet- 2 1/4"
Outlet- 2 1/4"
Overall- 25 7/8"
Number above the bar code- 87046

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Just got cherrybomb glasspack..?\'s

mine all said "inlet" on one end... but they had straight ports..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Can't Get Enough

I've used those before and they should work. If memory serves, the long end is the inlet end. You should be able to put it in yourself, it's just a couple of clamps and hangers. You should compare the length of it to the existing muffler though, if it's too long or short there could be a problem with the tailpipe fit in relation to your rear axle. I like the angled ends myself, it helps get everything tucked up out of the way. Good luck and btw, you may need to soak everything including the old muffler ends with PB Blaster to get it all off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Well I just took it to Car X and let them install it for $35 bucks. A few reasons for this. I have no sawzall, etc., anything to take off the rusted clamps etc. And I wasn't for sure if the pipes would fit together, and didn't want to scew everything up. They did a great job and fixed my sqeaky tailpipe hanger.
My impressions on the glasspack: Not as powerful sounding as the flowmaster. I think it's due to the appliaction. Flowmaster sounded very powerful between 1200- 1900 RPM, cherry bomb sounds much more powerful over 2000 RPM. But I am still impressed and I got the glasspack for only $17 at AutoZone, compared to the $35 it should have really costed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Old Hand

It'll get louder as it burns the fiberglass baffling out. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that gives me hope. Just a question, did you have a awkward smell after firing it up after the install and driving it? It looks like around the inlet and outlet the paint is burnt off after getting heated up. Thanks for the info.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

Yeah, CherryBomb's always stink for a while after install.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 PM

I don`t mean to crap on your party, but you may want to prepare yourself for the fact that if you wheel
anywhere that the area is controlled by the BLM or Forest Service, They don`t allow you to run that style
of muffler offroad. They don`t have spark arresters and are therefore a fire hazard.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I can't imagine how these mufflers are much more of a fire hazard than a CJ some farmer has owned and done "farm mechanics" on.

All kidding aside, I have dual cherry bombs, and I like them. They are louder at higher RPM's, but being as mine just end behind the doors and I have no othe pipe coming out its irritating sometimes, but usually not. The only time I've ever wanted to make them quieter was when I pulled up next to an Amish wagon and my Jeep was scaring the horse. Thats my schools town for ya.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

One last thing. I looked on the net for probablly a combined hour or so after I got the muffler and up until today, looking for a write up on the install, and experiences others jeepers had w/ the cherry bomb. I found nothing that I could use. All the descriptions that had cherry bomb install were from those car stereo sites, etc. Just wanted to get that out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode