CJ-7 any idea what it's worth? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-7 any idea what it\'s worth?

I saw a CJ-7 out by the road for sale today, and just had to stop and look [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Anyways, it's got a 304 V-8 as far as I can tell, I didn't see any bowties-that's a good thing to me, 3 speed on the floor, and a model 20 Rear, D 30 front. 31X10.50X15 tires, about 40% tread, and just some all-terrains, no gumbo mudders here. The dash is pretty rough, had a new gas gauge, and ammeter though. The tub has some bondo on it, but I don't think it is too bad. The driver's floorpan has had a piece of sheet metal laid over it, and the passenger's has been bondo'ed. The taillights were in the bed, not hooked up. Tub has been primered on outside, but the inside needs a little work yet. Didn't note mileage, and noone was home, so I don't know what he's asking. Had some steel "Mag" style wheels on it, decent shape. I was thinking of offering no more than $1500. What do you guys think? I would swap the 3 spd out for a four or five speed. I would mostly use it at the silver lake sand dunes, and maybe some trails around here (S.W. Ohio, If I can find any [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] - side note, anybody know of any jeep trails around here?) I have no idea what year it is. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: CJ-7 any idea what it\'s worth?

Without looking at it myself, $1500 sounds fair. However, I'm in Alaska where if it is 4x4 and runs it's worth $1000! I paid $1200 for my '74 with a very rusty tub, one working brake, and a host of other problems. But hey, I always wanted a jeep and it got me into it! Now I'm trading it to my dad for the '85 CJ7 he just picked up. He paid about $2200 for his, 258, 4spd, fiberglass top with next to no rust but lots of carb and electronic problems. Hope this helps!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 01:02 PM
Old Hand

500 seems more like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Journeyman

Of course having round headlights automatically starts the value at $500...everything else is just an addition!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just had to start something...hahaaa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 03:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

There's still too many unknowns for me to give my opinion. Does the motor run? If so, how healthy is it? How's the tranny, transfercase, axles? Will they need a rebuild soon? If the taillights are laying in the tub, that tells me that some electrical problems exist and will need some attention. How's the frame? Old Jeeps are notorious for the frame rusting out behind the rear tires by the rear shackle hanger. How's it drive? If it's all over the road, it might need some steering linkage parts. You say that the body is not too bad, but the floorboards are gone, hence the bondo and sheetmetal. These will need some attention, and tells me that the rest of the body is not far behind in the rust department.

Now, if we ASSuME that all of this is OK, then I'd probably pay a bit more than $1500 for it, maybe around $2500. If I found any of this stuff not to be OK, then start subtracting from there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I stopped and looked a little closer today...found a rust hole in frame just in front of driver's rear tire. Very small hole though, wouldn't hurt if a guy welded a patch over it. I have deduced that it is an early CJ7 by the door latches, it has the slide style latches, not the pin style. The odo had 35 K on the clock, and I haven't really ever known anyone to roll the odo over in a CJ, but you never know...naw, this one hasn't had the odo rolled over, or if it did, somebody took REAL good care of the thing. Somebody screwed up the dash, and cut new holes to put aftermarket gauges in it when the stockers quit working. It has power steering, and I don't know how much you can tell without the engine running, but it has no slop in the box, but there is minimal slop in the steering somewhere. you're probly right about the taillights and electrical problems. My dad says run screaming because of the rust hole in the frame, but I say fix it, the jeep is good, old jeeps never die. I am going back to look at it tomorrow when someone is home. I think i'll start about $500 and go from there. I don't think that is too hateful, having not heard it run yet.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 01:17 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The odo had 35 K on the clock, and I haven't really ever known anyone to roll the odo over in a CJ, but you never know

[/ QUOTE ]

I rolled mine over. I bought my 79 in 1994 with 90k miles on it. It now has 194k miles on it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

It automatically "starts" the value at $500, or brings "down" the value to $500? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Addict

Based on the amount of rust you describe and without knowing if or how well it runs, I would definitely not start any higher than $500 and probably not go above $1000, assuming it runs/drives. Definitlely inspect the frame thoroughly as they rust from the inside out and the extent of rust is sometimes hard to determine (a few taps w/a hammer or wrench may help). I recently passed on an '80's CJ7 w/258 and 5 spd than ran and drove for $800. It even had a newer aftermarket hardtop, but extensive rust and and I did not need another project heap in the yard (at least that's what my wife told me [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). Anyway a thorough inspection is warranted, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode