Bed liner durability - Should I do it myself? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 07:15 AM
cj7ted

Bed liner durability - Should I do it myself?

looking for info on the durability of the do it yourself bed liner material. I am looking for something that will hold up for many years of daily usage. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 07:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Bed liner durability - Should I do it myself?

I used Hurculiner on the bed of my pickup this winter. As farr as scuffs and scrapes it is doing well. I have a few chips in it where I was shoveling some sand out of the bed and doug in with the shovel. I used 2 gallons to do a 8' bed which gave me 3 coats. I also used a die grinder to scuff up the paint before I started, and wiped everything down with MEK.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 AM
Addict

I know several people who have used the Herculiner and are very pleased. It is much cheaper than Rhino Lining. The only drawbacks are the labor to do a GOOD job and the limitation of color. I would like to put it in the bed of my pickup but don't want black - have a yellow/bronze truck. I will be Herculining my CJ this fall. Patience, cleanliness and lots of latex gloves!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 10:25 AM

I bought the 29.95 Rustoleum kit from the Sportsmans Guide.
It provides a somewhat rough textured finish but went on easily enough using the provided mini-roller and paint brush. It took my 10 year old daughter and I a couple of hours to get the first coat in and less for the two follow-up coats.
My impression after a couple of months of hard use is that it holds up pretty well. If you are on a budget like me. This would be a good alternative.( Provided you are willing to do all the prep work and don't mind cleaning up afterwards!)
The drawbacks are the fact that it comes in black only; that you have only yourself to blame if it doesn't meet up with your expectations; and that you have to do all the prep, re-assembly, and clean-up. The good thing is that it saves you A LOT OF $. If you scrape or chip it, just get a spray can of the Duplicolor bedliner for about $8.00 and keep it looking "pretty".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 12:04 PM
CHUCKDJEEPSTER

Where else can I pick this stuff up at. This is a great alternative to herc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 10:57 PM

You can get herculiner in grey and red . I highly suggest the topcoat to keep it looking new . With the rebate you can get it for 79.99 at Auto Zone . I have it in my Zuk and my cj 7 . Pretty tough stuff and its 3 years old .
http://www.herculiner.com/prodinfo.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 07:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ive had the herc in my jeep for a few years.. got the kit.. came with a gallon and a quart.. i used the gallon.. and kept the quart for touch up... its had some scrapes in it.. but that was from my 90 pound tool chest being thrown in the back.. and wheelin with it there.. i think its held up well...
i have a write up on my website.. herc write up
all i can say.. is scratch up your surface with something coarse.. like 60 grit.. the more scuffed up it is.. the better
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Can't Get Enough

Just remember one thing....use plenty of gloves. They lie when they say it'll remove easily from skin. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Lirpasue and I had to just let ours wear off....not fun. It's been on our jeep for a year and it's held up very well, preparation is the key to doing it right.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:28 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This stirs some memory of "herc on the hootus", or something like that. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Prep work is the key. Let me say that again. PREP IS THE KEY! Don't skimp here, you'll be pissed about it forever if you do. When I put the Durabak in my CJ, I got one of those little white throw away paint suits, good gloves and a respirator. That is some stinking stuff!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Also, have the store put it in a paint shaker for you. If not all the rubber settles to the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode