Setting Timing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Setting Timing

This all started with what I thought was timing and really was a bad fuel pressure regulator. What is the simplest way to check my engine speed while setting my timing? I don't have a tach on my CJ 258 (no ECU) and with the Weber and the TFI upgrade I'm either pinging at high speed or dieseling at shut-off. And what is the optimum setting for this setup? I have seen 6 BTC and 9 BTC (factory). What degree should the timing move to after the vacuum advance is hooked back to the distributor? I can't remember ever having such a hard time setting timing!

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 07:22 AM

Re: Setting Timing

Regardless of what might be the "optimum," the timing in your engine now is too far advanced, assuming that you don't have some other problem such as carbon buildup, lean mixture or third-world gasoline.

You can probably get a cheap test tachometer, but shouldn't really need one. Set the engine down to a reasonable-sounding idle and set the timing. See how it runs. Then repeat as necessary.

My 258 likes anything from about 2 to 10, although it will ping at the higher end of the range, and loses power at the lower end. Generally engines run best with timing just below the pinging threshold.

Just retard it a few degrees at a time until the pinging goes away. That will probably solve the run-on too. If it doesn't, the mixture probably is too lean overall.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Addict

I had been doing it by ear. I have always set my old Ford pickups in that manner and never have any problems. Run like a top. I think I got the CJ too out of whack trying to compensate for a bad regulator and was wanting to return to some solid ground from where I could justify any moves that I made. Your post makes good sense and was what I was doing before I decided to do it "right". Just getting frustrated. Thanks.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 12:43 PM

On most older (higher mileage) engines I've found that they need to be timed a couple degrees in advance of what the book calls for. Usually I just time them by ear. Not the most scientific method, but they have always run better then if I just set them to book spec and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode