What is the oil pressure sender screwed into? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

What is the oil pressure sender screwed into?

I'm replacing my oil pressure sender as my guage doesn't work, hopefully this will do the trick. The sending unit is screwed into a piece which originally had wires coming from it, when the Jeep was carbureted. Now that it's fuel injected it looks like this piece is no longer used. Can I remove it? I'm assuming it unscrews from the block, and I can screw the sender into its place. Can someone tell me if this is correct? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The arrow points to the place and direction the sending unit was screwed in.

Thanks!
Derek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1130528-Oil pressure sender2.JPG (36.2 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Old Hand

Re: What is the oil pressure sender screwed into?

Thats the low oil presher shutoff for the motor if you dont use then take it out and put a plug in it.. I did the same thing its will still work fine..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Does it unscrew, and will the sending unit screw into it's place? Or are you not using the oil pressure sending unit? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Apprentice

There is actually a type of Tee connector screwed into the block.
The pic you posted is of the end of the pressure shutoff switch which is screwed into the side of the Tee, You could just plug this. (If not used)
The original guage sending unit is screwed into the top of the Tee, I believe you can see the top of it in your pic behind the spark plug wire at the top of your circle. (There should be one wire plugged into it)
I have no idea if the thread on the sending unit is the same as the thread in the block but chances are they are the same.
Personally I would probably remove the Tee from the block and put a 45 degree elbow in it's place, I like things being tidy and convenient! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 11:37 AM

Derek-

The other side of the piece the oil sender screws into is an oil pressure switch. I don't know anything about removing it and threading the sender in its place. However, on my 84 CJ-7 with Howell TBI, the switch is still used, along with a temperature switch in the manifold, to control turning on the manifold heater when the engine is cold.

I just went through a similar investigation as to what if anything the oil pressure switch is used for. Check out the thread:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...t=all&vc=1

It seems to me that my jeep runs fine without the manifold heater hooked up. Maybe it would warm up faster with it working. I did not find anything else wired to the oil pressure switch. Looks like when I had a carb, it was also wired to an electric choke--again used only at startup. I saw other messages about low oil pressure motor shutoff, but I found no evidence in my Jeep that the switch was wired to anything which would shut things down if no oil pressure was detected.

Let me know if you want any more detail about what I found in my Jeep was wired to what in this area.

Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response Chris! I had seen your post, but didn't make the mental connection that the switch was the same unit I was inquiring about. My whole reason for this question started with trying to trace the cause of my non-functioning oil gauge, and wondering if the switch could be bad, causing the gauge to crash, or if it would function regardless of the switch. I'm going to go ahead and order a new gauge anyway. But I'll also see if I can get my manifold heater in working order again.

Thanks for your help!
Derek
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Same here--my oil gauge crapped out which started me digging into all this. I presume you've seen Jaffer's gauge page which was useful to me:
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm

The test of *briefly* shorting the gauge sender terminal to ground to see if your gauge needle pegs high works well to see if your gauge works.

Then I tested to make sure my sender wire from gauge to sender was showing no resistance.

Then I checked the sender itself for resistance from the single terminal at the top to ground. Should have infinite resistance with engine off, and lower resistance as oil pressure is higher.

My oil sender crapped out so that it was shorted to ground all the time, which then burned out my gauge.

Let me know if you figure out how to see if your manifold heater is working. I guess hooking it up to power without the engine running and feeling if it gets hot would be one way. I haven't checked mine yet but intend to eventually, so keep me posted on what you find. I still think mine is busted.

Chris
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks, I've read that page. I think I'll go ahead and order a new gauge without testing my old one though, as it's such a pain to get to. I have the air conditioning unit below my dash which makes everything a pain to work on under there. I'm sure it's the gauge that's bad anyway so it's time to change it. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what I find on my manifold heater when I get around to checking it.
--Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode