Roll Cage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:33 AM
BigJ

Roll Cage

I am fabricating a roll cage for my 88yj. Any ideas on getting better access to the emergency brake? My current plan is to run the front hoop down between the door and dash in front of the speaker. This is right in line with the e-brake. If I move it over it gets in the way of the clutch. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:34 AM

Re: Roll Cage

right now i can think of only 3 options:
1. leave it where it is -yes it will get cramped down there when you want to apply e-brake, but i am sure you will get used to it
2. move it just a bit, just before it starts interfering with clutch - i am not sure that this will be much better then option 1
3. convert to hand operated e-brake
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:35 AM

I have built plenty of them just like you described, there are no problems with the e-brake.

It becomes 2nd nature quickly to just reach behind the tube with your foot or hand. Haven't had anybody complain yet either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Old Hand

Back in the 80s I had a race Jeep 78 CJ-5 I had 8 point roll cage in it & there was no way to get my big foot close to the E-brake ,,, I mess with street rods also & we used pinto front ends for the 34 fords we built so we had a few pinto junkers around waiting to be taking to the scrap yard,,, I noticed the simple E-brake handle that sat between the seats ,, set on it a wile & took two of them one for each side & mounted them in my Cj ... It worked great for the obsticle courses ,, pull up on the left one to make a tight left turn & right to go to the right ,,, It didnt work when I had a Detroit locker [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] put in but still made a great E-brake system ,,,, [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 09:58 AM

I also made one like this. No problems. I didn't even have to adust the handle legnth. I just wrap my hand around the vertical tube that runs to the floor and grab the em brake handle behind the bar. The only thing I did was turn the brake handle 1/4 of a turn to run paralel with the bar. You will spend plenty of time working on this cage without worring about minor stuff like this. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Take your time, and cover the the darn seats before you weld. I didn't on one and burned a hole through my seat cover.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 08:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i just ran mine straight down.. far enough in so you can close the hard doors.. something like this in the pic.. you cant quite see how far its in.. but it gives you a clue.. and yes.. the ebrake became second nature..... i dont have a problem with it..

here is the passenger side.. they are both the same...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 06:20 AM
BigJ

Thanks for the info. I'll post some pictures when the work is complete!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Cerrals

I've seen some that don't go to the floor, they go to a brace between the dash and the door opening. I think they had an article in 4 Wheeler on a kit that had something similar last year. They said that area was one of the strongest points on the tub.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

the tub still cant stand up to the frame... mount these cages to the frame.. thats the strongest way... and the safest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode