1. AMC did do something about the lousy 258 I6 valve cover.
2. They released an update kit in 1986, part number is JS001668.
3. The part is hard to find, but well worth the hunt.
4. Despite the instructions, it requires NO head drilling and tapping.
5. I've had one one my 83 CJ7 for 8 years.
6. There has not been a drop of oil leaked since installation.
7. Install was about three hours start to finish.
8. It's an easy upgrade.
9. As a souce for the part look locally for the item at your dealer.
10. It'll be NOS.
11. Parts Mike had some in 1999, and may still have some left,
12. Or know where they can be obtained.
13. His Internet address is: