1. It's a YJ, not a TJ.
2. Your engine has the horrid BBD Carb,
3. Read This,
4. Print it out to take to the Mechanic.
5. The symptoms could be an Ignition Module, but doubtful,
6. Buy an inexpensive Wells module and swap it out,
7. I doubt it'll do any good, and if it doesn't,
8. You've got a spare... 'cuz you're gonna need it sooner or later.
9. Some autoparts stores can test the module, but,
10. I don't put too much faith in the test because,
11. The module isn't subjected to heat, ground problems or vibration during the test phase.
12. Those are the three things that kill, or make marginal a module.