Engine mount question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Engine mount question

Ok here is the deal I bought a mopar injected 83 CJ7 with a 4 lift and 33s about a month ago. I love the damn thing it is so much fun. I owned a Wrangler a few years back and like the CJ just as much if not better. Ok well I noticed that there was a slow oil leak and at first thought it was the rear main seal. After further inspection I found out that it is the valve cover gasket, way easier right? Well I started to tighten up the valve cover, yes it is a good one, a Clifford, and could not get to the rear allen bolt. After comparing my engine to a friends I found that the motor in my rig has been shimmed up about to 1 inch and the transmission/transfer case is dropped about an inch, I assume to make the drive line angles a little better. This is all well and good but I cant get to that rear bolt and the valve cover is very close to the firewall. My question is what would happen if I removed the engine spacers? Does the engine really need to be lifted? Could I get away with just the transmission drop down? Does anyone make aftermarket transmission mounts/skid plate? Any help would be appreciated.

Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 12:43 AM

Re: Engine mount question

I feel your pain - or at least I did - when I did my 4.0 head swap, I actually had to drop the engine down an inch or so (removed the motor mounts) to get to the rear valve cover bolt. It's a huge PITA, and even getting that head to drop down on to the block was a challenge (the rear of the head kept scraping up against the firewall. It may be your only option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode