Making lifter noise go away - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Making lifter noise go away

I've had mild "lifter chatter" since I bought my Jeep. After I had the timing chain (had 1.5" of slop in it) and rear main seal replaced last week, the lifters sounded like they were going to come out of the side of the engine along with other internal parts.
The shop refilled the Jeep with 10w-30 and I think that was too thin of an oil for a tired "ticking" old 258.
I got fed up with the noise and rough idle from the lifters not pumping up, so I decided to change the oil to 20w-50. I also added some Lucas Oil engine treatment(the stuff reminds me of 90 weight gear oil). What a difference!!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I haven't heard one single tapping noise from the engine since!! Blow-by seems to have been knocked down to a minimum also!
The engine has never felt stronger. Actually was passing people in 5th gear up hill on interstate 95 too. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I figured I would share that with anyone else having a noisy lifter problem.

BTW....
On my trip to NJ last weekend, the fuel mileage has jumped from 10 to 11 mpg to about 17 mpg. I've never had that good of fuel mileage. I have over 170 miles on one tank and still have about 5/8 of a tank left. That has been unheard of in my Jeep. I think it's from the new timing chain, completely new exhaust, and the fact that I was able to set the timing right for the first time in 4 yrs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode