Lift Ideas...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 05:04 PM
304CJ7

Lift Ideas...?

Alright this is my first time posting here so dont be too harsh on me. I own a 1982 Jeep CJ7 w/ a 304 V8 swapped in. It has add-a-leafs now and 31x10.5's. I have a set of 33x12.5's and i want to know how much i need to lift it to fit them. I would like to eventually run 35's when these tires wear down. So would a 4in lift kit (I have my eyes on the trailmaster kit b/c it seems to be complete) ride about the same as the aal? B/c if thats the story i am definatly getting the 4incher. I also plan on a 1in poly urathane bodylift and .5 in shackles if i need to. Will gearing or driveline vibrations be a problem? I can get it regeared w/o a problem b/c i do auto body repair and have some pretty good connections. If i did put the 4in + 1 + .5 thats only 5.5inches and i dont know if i would clear 35's. I would consider a 2in b/l and 4.5 RE lift if i need it to clear 35's but that would be a little expensive. Please help me out here. Thanks, Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 05:12 PM

Re: Lift Ideas...?

Welcome,

I really like the Rubicon express Lift for the CJ. Infact I just ordered One for my Jeep. they are really complete and they convert your springs to the YJ springs so that the ride is better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

304CJ7,
First off...Welcome
Second, fill in your info before Leve gets to you....
Third...good post...your asking the right questions and have an idea of where you want to go.
At this stage, your going to get a couple of different opinions regarding which way to go, so lets look at the big long term picture.

First...driveline vibrations. Anything over 3" will give you vibrations. You can spend lots of time and hassel trying to shim the rear and drop the xfer case, but at the end of the day, the best way to go is with a CV driveshaft. Best $300 I ever spent. Plus, it will let you go with lifts that the droped xfer case will never allow. Trust me on this one.

Next..gears. Rule of thumb, 4.10 gears with 32-33" tires, and 4.56 gears with 35". While your at it, this is a good time to consider a locker...any change in gears over 3.73 will require a carrier change anyway...might as well make it a locker and do the gear setup only once. (translation...save $$$)

Last...lift...and the topic of most discussions. Personally, if you think your going to run 35" tires, then I would go with SOA (Spring Over Axle). With stock springs, you can expect about 5 1/2" of lift and a ride that feels like stock, but articulates very well. About the only thing better is a coil over. The only way your going to get a decent ride with 4" springs is to spend big bucks on a really good set of National or Old Man EMU springs. Anybody else and your kidneys will hate you. I would also stay away from body lifts and extended shackels..all your doing is adding weakness. Personally, I think body lifts don't look good and tend to create their own set of problems....like the brake lines that go from your master cyl to the frame...the list goes on. There is a ton of info on SOA. Do a search and you will get a good idea of what is involved. I would say that the SOA would be less work than the combination of spring and body lift.

Hope this helps...let us know what you do.....and send some pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 05:29 PM

Are the CJ lifts from Rubicon the same as the YJ springs? If they are it would be cheaper for YJ guys to buy the CJ lift if all other components worked.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 06:43 PM
304CJ7

Alright, well this is the 3rd Jeep ive owned. Both others were 1972 Jeep Cj5's (they were only about 5 cars away on the assembly line-kinda wierd), both with V8's, both 3spd's, and both were rusted up like you couldnt imagine. This Cj7 is by far the nicest ive owned and i intend on keeping it.

As far as a SOA goes im not too sure about it. I was going to springover one of my 5's but then i started reading about it and decided to stay away. I heard about bumpsteer, axlewrap, premature springwear, bad body roll, steering problems, and hassles of getting the pinion angles correct. As you can see, this was somewhat intimidating for someone who has never done a springover before. Thats why I was leaning towards springs and such. I have installed lifts, body lifts, and shackles before - pretty much no brainers. But a springover...thats a different story. I will be driving this on the road aboput 50% of the time but it will not be a daily driver. Im pretty good at welding and mechanical skills but a springover...hmmm. Also i am interested in putting in a front bar rollcage while im at everything. What are some ideas on that?

Also while ive got everyone's attention- whats are some opinions on getting the inside of the tub line-x'd? Anyone whos done it? How much? Thanks, Taylor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode