More on megasquirt fuel economy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

More on megasquirt fuel economy

Just filled the tank after about 3 weeks of city driving. Fuel economy worked out to 16.2 mpg. I'm pretty happy with that for stop and go traffic and my setup. It's still running well, but there is a little bit of lean surge on hot days when I first start it up and pull away from a stop. I need to enrich that corner of the MAP vs RPM chart. Easy enough to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Journeyman

Re: More on megasquirt fuel economy

Tim,
I didn't know they had hot days in Manitoba! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Went there for x-mas break once when I was in college...had a roomate from Winnipeg...after the 30 hour drive to get there, I thought I was going to die of frost bite! Hahaaa..
Sounds great! I hope to convert to fuel injection someday........(I seem to utter those words a lot)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Veteran

I am really impressed in the fuel consumption on mine also. I don't have a functioning fuel guage or speedometer to check mileage but I sure can tell the difference with the Megasquirt. I can't wait to see what the actual MPG is.

It does give me lots of warning before it runs out of gas Now. With the carb it would just quit when it was out. The other day it started to stumble when I would accelerate. It got worse the more I drove it. I ended up driving about five miles to the gas station, I almost did not make it.

Just how hot is it in Canada? It was about 110 degrees here today. I don't know what that is in Celcius, but it didn't really seem all that hot driving around with the bikini top on and no A/C today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Way Outta Control

1. This is one upgrade that really has a payback.
2. Have you figured out your increased MPG and how long it took,
3. For EFI to payback the install costs?
4. I suspect that you'll be pleasantly surprised.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

It got up to the mid 80's yesterday and on the weekend. I know that's not really hot, but I still have the hardtop and doors on the jeep. Seems as soon as I pull them off for summer, it starts to rain!

The hottest I've seen it get here is 40 degrees celcius, that's 104 F. We have wild extremes of temperature here on the prairies, with an average winter low vs. summer high in the neighbourhood of -35 to +35 celcius. I'd like to think of it as us getting the best of both worlds. We have beautiful lakes and beaches here in Manitoba to enjoy in the summer.

Hmmmm. Mike, you've got me thinking about your comment on knowing when you are running low on fuel. I wonder if my "lean surge" I thought I was experiencing was more related to the fact that the tank was near empty? I guess I'll see today as I filled er up yesterday.

Regarding Leve's point about saving the cost of conversion to FI, I wouldn't doubt it will pay off. I was having a discussion with a relative, Jack, the other day about emissions testing and about how Mike passed emissions in Arizona. We have no emissions testing here in Manitoba, but I have to believe that saving fuel and burning it more efficiently is good for all of us. Jack's point was that we have to think globally, as what one state or country does, affects all of us. That being the case, it's scary to think what the rapid industrialization of the far east is doing and how regulated their industry might or might not be.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 AM
Addict

I stuck my head into a local radio shack looking for a beginners electronics kit to learn on and couldnt find one... anyone wanna point me in the right direction? I'd like to do the megasquirt deal, but need more electronics experience first.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Look for an electronics store. Look in the yellow pages under electronics. An electronics kit is a great idea. It will help get your soldering skills up to par. The instructions that come with the MegaSquirt are very easy to follow but you want to make sure your soldering is real good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mike, you were right. Near the bottom of the tank it starts sucking air. That was the source of my "lean surge", not the sweltering 28 degrees celcius [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Make sure you drink plenty of water in that sweltering HEAT!

I was in the process of getting mine ready for the emissions test when this happened. At first I tried to compensate with more fuel and quickly realized that something else was wrong. I thought the fuel pump might have been going out. I then realized it might be low on gas so I drove to the gas station and filled it up. No more problems.

I am headed out for Cozumel Mexico tomorrow morning to scuba dive and sit on the beach. Just wanted to brag a little.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I'm a diver too, but have never dived anywhere other than our local lakes. There's fish and stuff there, but it's kinda like exploring the lunar surface, all rocks and colorless.

Enjoy your vacation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode