Solenoid / battery disconnect. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:28 PM
KenTheJeepGuy

Solenoid / battery disconnect.

I work in a not so nice neighborhood, and drive what is quickly becoming a very nice jeep. And i am beginning to worry about theft.
I have a kill switch, but it doesnt take much for someone to find it or just get around it.
I want to put on one of those "battery disconnects" on it, but i dont want to have it visible, and i dont want to have to go crawling under my jeep to get to it every time i get in my car, or running 20' of 2ga wire to some remote location and back.
so what i was thinking was this...
what if i were to get a starter solenoid, like jeeps typically use, the ford style external solenoid that mounts on the firewall.
I would just run a switch from the dash to this solenoid, and then have the battery itself run thru this solenoid, just like you would use a manual battery disconnect, except this would be a more remote style where you could easily hide or disguise the small disconnect toggle switch and be able to run small gs wire to anywhere you needed, and could keep the cutoff soleniod right next to the starter.

My question however is this...
Are those solenoids capable of remaining closed for extended lengths of time? I know as they are commonly used, they kick in for a few seconds to start the car, and then go back to the open resting position.
Will the solenoid burn out if you leave it open for hours at a time? Obviously it will take power to keep open. and of course i would have to be sure there was power to the solenoid swith even when the battery was "disconnected".
but would this work with a starter solenoid?
or is there another type of solenoid or very large relay that could handle this task?

Any Other security measures you all have done of seen in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:46 PM

Re: Solenoid / battery disconnect.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Any Other security measures you all have done of seen in the past?

[/ QUOTE ]

is fuel cut-off switch an option for you? how about removable steering wheel?

this topic was discussed not too long ago in this thread
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Swansonoldcj

throphy question!!!! as i can't easily really even lock my cj. But a battery disconect with a removable key in my blower motor case helps me relax. they can take my cheap stereo and or speaker box just don't damage or take my jeep!!!!!!. and yes a starter solinoid will let its smoke out if engaged for extended periods. keep it simple [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 12:12 AM
KenTheJeepGuy

I am assuming fuel cut off is for those fancy folks with fuel injection.
I have a mechanical fuel pump, so i dont know of any good ways to cut off my fuel flow.
Removable steering wheel is too cumbersome, then you have to lug that thing around with you.
I thought that my detachable face plate was annoying....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 08:36 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Hope it's visible, I have no idea how to attach a picture (going to read the faqs):

Otherwise I should mail the sceme as an attachement. Bobine = coil, drukknop = toggleswitch, massa = ground. its about a relay ( get it at whatever parts shop, used for claxon or extra lights) that holds itself after turning the key to ignition and touching the switch to start the engine. You put it in between the + wire going to the coil. hide the switch. The car will crank like normal, but won't start. I'm not sure if it's jeep electronics friendly, but it will not be turned without power often.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1128379-w200so1.gif (25.8 KB, 6 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 08:55 AM
KenTheJeepGuy

How long will a relay hold a circuit closed?
Like the ones used for off road lights and such.
would these be able to hold indefinately or do they eventually burn up?

Also, i am intrigued by these magnetic switches.
where do i get them? will any magnet do the trick?
do they automatically disengage when power is lost? what kinda amperage do they carry? can they blow out or go bad?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:03 AM

A typical starter solenoid will not hold up because they are not rated for continues duty but they do make simular looking ones that are continues duty. Just make sure if you go that route that you get a properly rated one. I know Napa can get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode