D-44 swap and steering ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

D-44 swap and steering ?\'s

I just finnished outboarding my springs and mounting a D-44 from a narrow track waggie. My problem now is how do I make the steering work. The donor waggie was a '76, so the tie rod is on top of the knuckles and the drag link attaches to the tie rod.

I've got the tie rod in ok, but the pitman arm is too long and I think the drag link will bind on the tie rod when I flex. I've measured a '76 2wd dodge pitman arm, but even that seems like it will be too long.

I've looked at Jeepgod's site, but He is SOA and I am still SUA. I am going to shorten my drag link like he explains, but that still doesn't get me over the pitman arm part. I know there are lots of guys who have done this swap, so please, what's the secret?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 07:10 PM
JohnN

Re: D-44 swap and steering ?\'s

I had the same problems, only difference is, I narrowed my 44. My solution was to take the waggy pitman arm to a good machine shop and have it shortened to a length that would work. I can weld, but I wanted some real quality work on a pitman arm. It's held up well for a year and I've been rough on it. I had the drag link and tie rod shortened and re-threaded to use the stock adjusters and ends. You only want a little drop in the arm, not like a regular drop arm, since the tie rod is on top of the knuckles now.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

How does that affect your turning now that the pitman arm is shorter? I would think that it would slow down the response. I was looking at mine tonight, and I think I can use my D-30 knuckles and parts off of my old high steering setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Official Historian

I'm interested in a solution as well. I'm working on another frame and suspension for my jeep and am going to have interference too. Is there a steering gear that has the pitman arm in front of the steering gear? That would allow me to cut off more of the front of the frame since I am going to coils on the front.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:38 PM

I just sold a scout 2 with power steering and that box pointed forward . I think it was a saginaw box .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode