CJ Brake Caliper upgrades (d30) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 07:09 PM
KenTheJeepGuy

CJ Brake Caliper upgrades (d30)

I know there are alot of people out there upgrading to different calipers for more stopping power on certain axles. like i have seen people using cadillac calipers, or full size chevy calipers on Dana 44's and 14 bolts and such...

but is there a larger better caliper that will fit a Dana 30 front that is better than the stock OEM replacement caipers.
My calipers are starting to go bad, and i figured if i have to buy new ones i might as well see if there is an upgrade at the same time.

Also, do they make a cheap rear disc brake conversion for a amc 20?
I still have the stock rear drums and they are about worthless.
I have seen real cheap disc upgrades for some bigger axels, but is there a cheap method for an amc 20?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CJ Brake Caliper upgrades (d30)

I really dont think there is any bolt on mods for better brakes, to get better stopping discs, you will have to goto a larger disc, then that means you will need a new caliper bracket and find a rotor that is made with a 5 lug pattern. I am using chevy calipers, because they are very plenty ful. I always think about the disc brakes used in 76-78 that jeep used. Since it was used for two years it may be an oddball and later on it may be more difficult to find them. You could always swap the knuckles out and get the nuckles of a new dana 30, that way you can have more chance of being able to get a caliper when you goto the store.

The dana 30 brake sare pretty good, you may adda booster so you dont work that hard to stop, or go rear disc brakes and have a little more stopping power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode