Silver Lake Dunes.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Plato2k5

Silver Lake Dunes..

Well i just got back from Silver Lake Dunes. Wow was it alot of fun! My first time out there. I went with my uncle and he took his wrangler there. He let me drive and i had alot of fun.....just all those 4-wheelers and drit bikers are crazy! They zoom in and out and all around you. I was there for two days and i hope to go back soon with my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Re: Silver Lake Dunes..

Where is Silver Lake Dunes???
John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Its in Michigan
I frequent there and yes the 4wheelers and bikes are VERY annoying!!!! My wife calls them wasps. If you check out my homepage, I have pics from there and from the Badlands.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Plato2k5

the quads would race rite towards me...i wouldn't move, so they would finally. Without them it would be alot more plesent. That first hill is sweet!!! I guess some guy rolled his jeep going over, didn't see it happen but saw the tow truck going there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 10:39 PM

Word of advise:
STAY OUT OF WATER
Unless or course you enjoy uo to 5 ft of nasty stagnant h2o coming at you.
I have seen a stock vehicle try to cross..... burid in water up to his hood, stuck, and sucked it in the air intake, no doubt got it in his tranny and diffs. STAY OUT unless you are prepared.

Vehicles are always rolling up there, usually its because they try to use to much brake going down and end up slidiing sideways. It is safer to use less brake and let your engine slow you down.
You will get the hang of it.

Phil
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Silver Lake Sand Dunes are located in Mears, Michigan. It's on the west shore of the state about half an hour from Muskegon.

Don't go on the weekends. The "weekend warriors" from all over the place including Chicago come up there. It tends to get pretty wild on the weekends. If you watch you'll see that NONE of the locals go out there on the weekends.

The biggest problem with the dunes has been the five different kinds of traffic and the failure of just about everyone to use spotters and obey the directional traffic. Oh, and the *******s that pick the worst spots to park. I haven't been there since they started enforcing the noise and spark arrestor rules.

There are five kinds of traffic:
1. Fast people in sandrails, dirt bikes, three wheelers, and quads. AKA anything with paddles. These people get really tired of waiting on the slow people to quick gawking and not paying attention to their surroundings. These paddled-peoples with more horsepower than brains often need spotters but usually don't use them. They often travel in packs of 3-20. Most of the time they see anyone without paddles as nothin' but lapped traffic.
2. Old people in their stocker Trackers, Jeeps, "badass" Z71s, Fx4s, Expeditions, et cetera. They don't pay any attention to their surroundings and often are the first ones in an accident or stuck. They can be found shaking their fist at all the people that dare go faster than 10mph. They can be found near the beach gumming their dentures and cleaning their underwear.
3. Rich people with more money than brains. They bring their bling-bling Z71 extended cab shortboxes with a 12" whiplash lift and 1/2 ton IFS. They undoubtedly break things like mad. They can also be found bringing $100,000 Hummers out and driving it through the 6' deep water bowls continuously until it hydrolocks and they need three or four of the #5 people to help them get out.
4. People, often families, in their jerry-rigged Bronco, Jeep, K5, or pickup tooling around the dunes nervous of everyone around them because no one is paying attention but them it seems. They're the ones you usually find near the beach with their rig pissing antifreeze all over the sand.
#5. The regular joe and often his family or friends. He can be found saying "man, some of those people out there...". They take several days to get used to the omnidirectional traffic since they're so used to trails and not having people coming at them from all different directions. They're smart enough to bring extra parts and fluids. Chances are the spare starter they remembered to bring won't even be used by them. There is a good chance they'll spend their time pulling out (#3 people) or helping repair someone else's rig (#4 people).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:00 AM

lol

...that hits it just about right.

Often I have more fun watching the #1s jump break crash whatever - than much else [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, for the most part I'm a #1. I've always had my quad out on the dunes. It's just plain crazy out there sometimes. It can get mighty stressful.

Let me tell you that it gets pretty retarded waiting for people to move. Then there are the clowns with 3-8 trucks that decide to park right in the middle of a high traffic area.

The dunes are just about 4 square miles in size but you're only allowed to play on about 1 square mile worth with ORVs. It might seem like a lot but when you get 100 slow moving vehicles out there with another 100 fast moving vehicles it can get pretty nuts. It's especially true if people don't follow the patterns and are found going tangent or 90 with the flow of traffic. You'd think people would notice the fact that the tracks in the sand go predominantly one way and they'd follow them but they don't.

Then there are the people that like to park next to trees so you can neither see their flag nor their vehicle when you're traveling up it and you end up with people getting mighty close to one another.

You've got the kids in packs of dirtbikes and ATVs that go flying around the dunes at 40-70mph usually in the same path over and over again. They get used to the terrain but eventually there are some close calls with something slow moving, usually traversing at the bottom of a hill. They're just itching for an accident jumping without a spotter.

My personal favorite is when you get badasses in their slow moving vehicles without paddles playing in dirtbike/atv areas. They always get stuck and no one will usually help them for the simple fact they were stupid. My second favorite is when a sandrail or buggy without paddles gets stuck at the bottom of a bowl. it's always hot at the bottom of a bowl so they usually overheat their air cooled VWs trying to make running starts up the bowl's side. They never learn to go around the bowl going faster and faster until they can get enough speed to get up the hill. Yes, my Dad's got a sandrail without paddles. hehe.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 12:03 PM

I would say I fall between #4 and #5.

I love going up to the dunes (have a cottage up there). Been going for about 25 years. Yes, the quads and bikes have gotten worse and worse. They don't look out for you and go straight across the complete hillside (test hill) so that everyone has to wait until they finish jerking around to go up it. Also noisy and stinky as heck, I wish the DNR would enforce the sound rules. I have had 2 accidents with them over the years.

However it's still worth it. I go up on the big weekends and just sit next to the dragstrip or at the bottom (or top) of test hill and watch. Weekdays are the times to drive around without danger.

Anyone going up July 3-10?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We avoid that place like the plague july 4th weekend, and also labor day weekend, heck, anymore we don't go on the weekends at all. My family has a house on white lake (~30miles south) and we usually spend about 6wks there in the summer (mom can get off work, dad is full-time farmer, nothing he can do in july and august), but this year it looks like Mom, Dad, and my Brother will be going up around jun 30 or so (as soon as the straw is baled, and rest of crops laid by) and I have to stay home and work!!! I can't wait for july 26!! I am taking two weeks vacation to go to the lake. And the first week all our friends with Early Broncos are going to be there. Just awesome. I do have to say I ride a quad up there mostly, but I try to give bigger vehicles the right-of-way, and I try to go with the flow of traffic. I guess I'm the exception to #1, and I'm more like a #5, because I bring a hell of a lot of spare parts!! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode