Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: O/T cylinder leak test for 258
1. A compression test should be done[*]dry, no oil in cylinders [*]wet, oil in cylinders
2. If a reading is low, and the PSI goes up with oil,
3. You know the rings are worn.
4. If not... then the problem's in the valves.
5. A leak-down test should be done dry.
6. It tells you the path of escaping compression, over time.
7. A valve job will cost about $200 to $300,
8. If you pull and reinstall the head.
9. Your symptoms pointed to the valves,
10. Were the engine mine I'd do a compression test,
11. To see how the rings fared,
13. Pull the head,
14. Take it to a machine shop for refurbish,
15. And remove the carbon from the top of each piston,
16. And install the rebuilt head,
17. And go from there if the Compression test was OK.