Another AMC 20 Pinion Oil Seal Leak "?" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Another AMC 20 Pinion Oil Seal Leak \"?\"

Dang it! I thought my differential cover was leaking, so went out and bought a new gasket. When I got under it to do some other work, I realized the pinion seal was leaking, and the oil was running down to the bottom of the diff.

It doesn't sound like changing the seal is too hard, but I have a couple questions for which I couldn't find answers through the search.

1. (The torque question) I want to get the torque on the pinion nut the same as it is now, but how exactly do I go about measuring that? I have a good dial wrench, but won't any rust or ?? on the nut make a difference in the torque reading before I remove it? Also, do I just measure how much torque it takes to get the nut to break loose, or measure how much torque it takes to begin to tighten the nut, then begin removing it?

2. I've read other posts that you have to also replace the crush sleeve at the same time? One post said the crush sleeve is behind the carrier, one said it's behind the bearing. Looking at different diagrams of the pieces of the AMC 20, I'm still not clear. Is it necessary?

3. I think I'm making this harder than it should be...

Thanks all!
Derek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Another AMC 20 Pinion Oil Seal Leak \"?\"

The torq on the nut doesnt matter at all. Its the torque of the bearing preload that does matter. I hope your dail wrench is a inch pd that is capable of reading in the single digits. Most used rears have a bearing preload of 5.

What you want to do is remove the drums and driveshaft. Spin the pinion nut with the inch pound dial torque wrench. Once you know your bearing preload remove nut, yoke and old seal. Replace seal, make sure you check your yoke for a groove from the old seal, if there is a groove get a new yoke. Also dont forget to grease the new seal so the yoke doesnt run dry on it and burn it up. When you tighten down the nut, go slow and easy and check the preload often, when you get to your preload your done. One more thing loctite the nut if you are reuseing a used one.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Re: Another AMC 20 Pinion Oil Seal Leak \"?\"

Ahh! Now I get it! Thanks Jim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode