Valve Cover Breather Hose (258-6 cyl) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Valve Cover Breather Hose (258-6 cyl)

I just did a Weber 32/36 conversion on my 89 Wrangler. When I had the Carter on,the valve cover breather hose wasn't connected to anything.It was hanging down the side of the motor. I hooked the hose up to my Weber as instructed. When I disconnect it,my motor runs better. Does it have to be connected to the Weber? It seems like it's pumping dirty air into the carb. I also have a little bit of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 06:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Valve Cover Breather Hose (258-6 cyl)

Are you sure your hooking the hose into the right place?

The rear breather hose should go to the inside of the intake filter..that is, it should see only filtered air.

The front hole in the valve cover is for the PCV valve. It should go to the baseplate of the Weber (basically, manifold vacuum).

I find it very hard to believe that hooking up the breather hose would cause it to run worse....unless you connecting it to manifold vac...in that case, you will have problems.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Everything is hooked up correctly. The breather hose connects to a fitting that is on the bottom of the air filter base plate. I'm getting a little bit of oil on the air filter cover also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ahhhhh ...a blow-by condition. Now the "it ran better with it off" statement makes a little more sense.

Can we assume that you've checked the PCV valve and found it to be fully functional?

If "yes" ...then I'd do a search on blow by ...a multitude of remedies are available (other than the deep pocket nose snubbers saying "just rebuild it dude ..you're just wasting your time") if the engine is otherwise providing good service.

My techique of choice is this extractor offered by Jegs. It's the same thing used on many OEM GM vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode